Blaise Main Leaning Tower of Pisa Mrs. Carlson
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a freestanding bell tower located at the Cathedral Square in Pisa, Italy. It was built in three different stages over 177 year period. There has been controversy about the real identity of the architect for many years. Construction on the first floor began in August of 1173. Five years later, while building the third floor, the building began to sink. The infamous tilt is due to a thin foundation and unstable ground underneath. Construction was halted for nearly 100 years due to battles with nearby cities. In 1272, Giovanni di Simone resumed construction and had one side built with taller walls in order to straighten the building up. At first, it did straighten the tower, but then it began to lean in the opposite direction. Construction was stopped once again due to battles in 1284. The seventh and final floor was added 35 years later. The bell-chamber was finally added in 1372. It was built by Tommaso di Andrea Pisano, who succeeded in adding pieces of Gothic element to the Romanesque style of the tower.
The reason the Leaning Tower of Pisa is so famous is because of its lean. At one point in time the tower leaned more than five degrees. That may not seem like much, but it is very visible when looking at it. The tower now leans to the southwest just under four degrees. During World War II, the Allies discovered that the Nazis were using it as an observation post. A U.S. Army sergeant was briefly entrusted with the fate of the tower and his decision not to call in an artillery strike saved the tower from destruction. In 1964, the Italian government requested aid in preventing the tower from toppling. It was very important to retain the current tilt, due to the vital role that this element played in promoting the tourism industry of Pisa. A multinational task force...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document