Attention getter: Cigarette smoke contains over 4,800 chemicals.
Relevance to this audience: Everyone knows someone that smokes.
Speaker credibility: My uncle has been smoking ever since I was little.
Thesis statement/Main Points: Smoking cigarettes is bad all around because of the chemicals it has in it, the effects it has on your body, and the harm it does to the people around you.
Transition: Some people who smoke don’t know what’s in them.
I. Cigarettes have many harmful chemicals in them.
A.I am going to name a couple of these chemicals.
1. Cigarettes have acetone in them.
a. Acetone is found in nail polish remover.
2. They also have carbon monoxide in them.
a. Carbon monoxide is released from the exhaust of the car. 3. There is also butane in cigarettes. a. Butane is used in lighter fluid. Transition: Inhaling these chemicals can harm your body.
II. Smoking cigarettes causes many health problems.
A. Smoking cigarettes causes Cardiovascular Disease.
1. It causes coronary heart disease witch is the leading cause of death in the United States.
2. It also causes reduced circulation by narrowing your blood vessels. B. Smoking also causes respiratory disease.
1. Smoking causes lung cancer.
2. Lung disease is also caused by smoking.
a. It damages the airways in your lungs.
C. Smoking cigarettes can cause you to get a lot of different kinds of cancer.
1. One of the cancers you could get is bladder cancer.
2. Another cancer it could give you is kidney cancer.
Transition: Not only does smoking cigarettes harm you it harms the people around you. III. Second hand smoke is just as harmful as smoking a cigarette. A. Even if you don’t smoke you could still get lung cancer. 1. If you are exposed to second...