Improving Eighth Years Students Ability in Writing Recount Text Using Pictures Series

Topics: Writing, Creative writing, Bali Pages: 5 (1836 words) Published: December 8, 2012


The ability of the eight grade students of SLTP Negeri 1 Probolinggo in writing recount text was still unsatisfactory. The students were unable to express their ideas in a good paragraph. They made a number of mistakes in their writing in terms of content, organization, vocabulary, and grammar. To overcome this problem, the researcher tries to use picture series as a strategy in the teaching writing in recount text. This research, which aimed at improving the ability of the eight grade students of SLTP Negeri 1 Probolinggo in writing recount text using picture series. The research problem is how can picture series can be used to improve the ability of the eight grade students of SLTP Negeri 1 Probolinggo in writing recount text. The research design was a Classroom Action Research (CAR) that was a process in which researcher himself conducts the teaching to improve the students learning and to recover the students’ problems or difficulties in the process of writing instruction. The researcher worked through the cyclic process which consists of four steps, namely planning, implementing, observing, and reflecting. Based on the result of students’ final writing, it was found that the students have a significant improvement. It means that the use of picture series strategy has positive impact in teaching and learning English. The students’ ability in generating ideas, organizing ideas, choosing words and using grammar developed better than before the strategy implemented. Additionally, the improvement also can be seen in the gain of 10 points from the preliminary score. In the preliminary study, Most of the students got the score below 5.5 that is minimum criteria/Kriteria Ketuntasan Minimal (KKM). Only 16% (5 of 30) students who pass. In the cycle I, there were 14 students or 47 % of the students reached the criteria of success and the rest (16 students) or about 53 % of the students got under 6.0. Meanwhile, in the cycle II, there were 28 students or 93% students had reached the score greater than 6.0, and 2 students or 6% students got under 6.0. After the picture series strategy is implemented in two cycles, the researcher concludes that a suitable model of the strategy in using picture series in teaching writing to the students prove to be very effective to attract the students to get involved in the teaching and learning activity, especially in the Recount Text.



As we know in learning English there are four skills, which are very important for English learner. They are speaking skill, writing skill, reading skill and listening skill. The fourth skills are very important, because they are basic of English learning. Because of that the writer consist to explain one of the skills, I will explain about writing skills. In writing we can write everything that we want, but must consider with the rule of grammatical function. For example in writing a recount text. Through writing a recount text can improve vocabulary, grammar, creativity and man other benefits for learner. Because of that, I want to more explain about “Improving Student Ability in Writing Recount Text through picture series. a. Definition of Recount text

Recount is a text which retells events or experiences in the past. Its purpose is either to inform or to entertain the audience. There is no complication among the participants and that differentiates from narrative. And Recount is very similar to narrative. Recount explores the series of events which happened to participant/s. These events are the main element in composing recount text. However it just focuses on the events themselves. It does not include the conflict inside The events will be told in chronological order based on time and place. If we get recount text with complete generic structure, it will...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Improving Students Ability in Writing Analytical Exposition Text Using Picture Series Essay
  • A Study of the Speaking Ability of Second-Year Students Essay
  • A Study on Improving the Writing Ability of Middle School Students Based on Error Analysis Essay
  • teaching vocabulary by using cartoon picture Essay
  • Essay on Teaching Students with Diverse Abilities
  • The Effectiveness of Picture Stories to Develop Students' Writing Skill Essay
  • Student of the Year Essay
  • Impact of Text Messaging Language Shortcuts in Formal Writing By Sophomore Students at MNHS Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free