Run of the river with pondage would be the best suited option in India because
* Operational, running and maintenance costs are low compared to other schemes of hydroelectricity.
* It is a clean, pollution free and eco-friendly source of energy.
* It is the only source of electricity generation in hilly and remote, inaccessible areas where generation from other sources or transmission of power over long distances would not be feasible. Cost of building the plant and return on investment is fast compared to large hydro and hence would attract many private investors to invest.
* Rehabilitation and resettlement which is the major concern in a democratic country like India and hence this scheme is the most useful.
* There is no loss of forest land due to submergence.
* WRITE A NOTE ON ECONOMY OF HYDRO VIS-À-VIS OTHER SOURCES OF GENERATION.
Economically, hydropower stations are several times more favourable compared to thermal power stations keeping in view the life cycle costs, recurring fuel costs, environmental cost and grid economy.
Hydro power stations utilise water, as a zero cost input energy source against which there is a constant escalation in cost of fossil fuels used in thermal power station, thus making the operational cost of thermal power stations ever increasing.
Electricity generation from the hydro is always economical because of the following reasons:
* Life of Hydro Plants: Life of the hydro power plant is more than double that of thermal. This allows the cost of the project to be divided along the whole period making it a viable option when compared to other resources. Once the initial investment has been made in the necessary civil works, the plant life can be extended economically by relatively cheap maintenance and the periodic replacement of electromechanical equipment (replacement of turbine runners, rewinding... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). Hydro Power. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hydro-Power-923247.html
"Hydro Power" StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hydro-Power-923247.html>.
"Hydro Power." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hydro-Power-923247.html.