Title: Dead Stars
Author: Paz Marquez Benitez
i. Time: Lenten Season
ii. Place: Laguna, Philippines
* Alfredo Salazar- son of Don Julian, a more than 30 years old man and a bachelor who was engaged to Esperanza but he still flirting with another woman named Julia Salas.
* Esperanza- Alfredo’s fiancee; She is a homely woman, literal minded and intensely passionate. She is one of those lucky women who have the gift of unvaryingly beauty.
* Julia Salas- Judge del Valle’s sister-in-law; a woman whom Alfredo Salazar fall in love with.
* Don Julian- Carmen and Alfredo’s father; a valued and educated old man.
* Carmen- Alfredo’s sister who was trying to argue with her father about her brother’s wedding.
* Doña Adela and Judge del Valle- the couple who was a family friend of Don Julian.
Alfredo Salazar, a spinster over thirty is engaged to Esperanza for quite three years and everyone takes it for granted that he will finally marry Esperanza. But although he is ashamed to admit it, the intensity of his enthusiasm for Esperanza has gone and he is attracted to Julia. However, he is aware that all his loved ones would criticize of his failure to honor his understanding with Esperanza, so he decided to marry Esperanza. Then, years later, he goes on a business trip to the town where Julia lives and he goes to visit Julia, whom he has never forgotten. He is surprised to find that he no longer feels attracted to her and he compares the memory of his love for her to dead stars, whose shine is still visible from earth for years after they are gone.
Point of view:
Third-person omniscient, the narrator can — and does — jump into the minds of many different characters. The narrator will tell us how each character is thinking and feeling, and will explain events according to how each character would interpret them.
Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). Hrr- Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hrr-Dead-Stars-By-Paz-Marquez-604250.html
"Hrr- Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hrr-Dead-Stars-By-Paz-Marquez-604250.html>.
"Hrr- Dead Stars by Paz Marquez Benitez." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Hrr-Dead-Stars-By-Paz-Marquez-604250.html.