Gmo Case Study

Topics: Hedge fund, Stock market, Investment Pages: 3 (588 words) Published: February 6, 2013
CASE STUDY: Strategic Capital Management

-------------------------------------------------
NOTES
SCM LLC
12.9.1998 – Elena raised $20 million for her new fund
Interested in Ubid, recently had an IPO—lucrative Internet-sector investment? Mandate of generating 10% annual returns
charge investors 2% management fee of assets under management an incentive fee equal to 20% of profits.
Mandatory minimum investment horizon of 2 years

Ubid & Creative Computers
creative computers – a catalog distributer of computers and computer peripherals -opened retail markets in 1990s
-closed 7/8 of retail stores in 1998 b/c of constant pressures on profit margins in the computer industry -started selling computer equip. on internet via auction format on Ubid website -world-wide exposure

-$2.1 million 1st quarter sales **costs?
- 7.6.1998 sell 20% equity of Ubid in IPO/ distribute the remaining 80% of Ubid to shareholders of Creative computers in a tax-free spin-off six months after Ubid IPO

UBID IPO
12.3.1998 – 1.817 SHARES @ $15/share
-Ubid gains $25.4 million after $1.9 mil in underwriting fees -12.4.1998- shares open at $38, traded above $60, and closed at $48 -based on total shares outstanding 9.15 mil, ubid closed 1st day with a market cap of $439 million POST-IPO

UBID
3rd Q sales increased to $15.3 million – growth rate of 637% & 127% for 1st and 2nd qrters--- yet earnings remained negative pretax loss of $1.1 million at end of 3rd. with no prospects of positive earnings in the near future. CREATIVE COMPUTERS

Record consolidated net sales of $186(170.7 excluding ubid) million in 3rd Q of ’98, a 51% increase from ’97 3rd Q(excluding Ubid, which if u did, would see 39% increase) Net income improved, reaching $435,000 for the 3rd Quarter

-------------------------------------------------
Without the investment in Ubid, the net income was $1.1 million, which would make this the most profitable quarter since 3rd quarter 1997. INVESTMENT DECISION...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Business Case Investment Analysis 201 Essay
  • Case Analysis Pan Europa Essay
  • case study Essay
  • case study Essay
  • case study Essay
  • case study Essay
  • Case Study Essay
  • CASE STUDY Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free