LAB TIME/DATE _______________________
The Integumentary System
Basic Structure of the Skin
1. Complete the following statements by writing the appropriate word or phrase on the correspondingly numbered blank: Epidermis
The two basic tissues of which the skin is composed are dense irregular 1. _____________________________
connective tissue, which makes up the dermis, and 1 , which forms the epiKeratin dermis. The tough water-repellent protein found in the epidermal cells is called 2. _____________________________
2 . The pigments melanin and 3 contribute to skin color. A localized Carotene
concentration of melanin is referred to as a 4 .
2. Four protective functions of the skin are
Prevents water loss
minor excretory system
3. Using the key choices, choose all responses that apply to the following descriptions. Key: a.
Stratum corneum & stratum lucidum
dermis as a whole
epidermis as a whole
dermis as a whole
g. reticular layer
h. epidermis as a whole
i. dermis as a whole
1. translucent cells in thick skin containing keratin fibrils 2. dead cells
3. dermal layer responsible for fingerprints
4. vascular region
5. major skin area that produces derivatives (nails and hair) 6. epidermal region exhibiting the most rapid cell division
7. scalelike dead cells, full of keratin, that constantly slough off 8. mitotic cells filled with intermediate filaments
9. has abundant elastic and collagenic fibers
10. location of melanocytes and Merkel cells
11. area where weblike pre-keratin filaments first appear
12. region of areolar connective tissue
4. Label the skin structures and areas indicated in the accompanying diagram of thin skin. Then, complete the statements that follow.
Arrector pili muscle
(deep pressure receptor)
granules extruded from the keratinocytes prevent water loss by diffusion through
Glands that respond to rising androgen levels are the sebaceous & apocrine
Phagocytic cells that occupy the epidermis are called langerhans cells
A unique touch receptor formed from a stratum basale cell and a nerve fiber is a merkel disc
What layer is present in thick skin but not in thin skin? stratum lucidum
Fibers in the dermis are produced by fibroblasts
What cell-to-cell structures hold the cells of the stratum spinosum tightly together? demosomes
Review Sheet 7
5. What substance is manufactured in the skin that plays a role in calcium absorption elsewhere in the body?
6. List the sensory receptors found in the dermis of the skin.
free nerve endings, messiners corpuscles, pacinian corpuscles
7. A nurse tells a doctor that a patient is cyanotic. Define cyanosis. What does its presence imply?
tissues near the skin surface are low on oxygen
8. What is a bedsore (decubitus ulcer)?
Why does it occur?
blue or purple color to the skin or...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document