E-HRM (Electronic Human Resource Management) refers to conduct business transactions particularly Human Resource Management transactions, using the internet along with other technologies (Lengnick-Hall and Moritz, 2003). It was inspired by the popular term of e-commerce. As per the literature, it can also be called as online HRM, web-based HR, virtual HR (M), HR intranet, e –HR, HR portals and computer-based human resource management systems (CHRIS). In 1990, this term E-HRM was introduced, when electronic commerce (e-commerce) was speeding in the world of business.
It is an advance business solution which provides a complete on-line support in the management of all processes, actions, data and information required to handle human resources in an advance company. It is an effective, consistent, easy-to-use system which can be used by groups of different users. It is a technology which allows the staff to have an access to HR and other departments of the organization.
According to Ruël Huub & Bondarouk Tanya, E-HRM helps to execute HR policies, strategies and practices in the company by using web technologies. The objectives of an organization to take E-HRM are: 1. Developing the strategic orientation of HRM
2. Reduction in cost and effective gains
3. Improvement in client servicing and helping management and employees.
The choices of HRM strategies in an organization can be divided into three categories (Beer et al.): the bureaucratic policy, the market policy, and the clan policy. Each category has its own specific characteristics about the HRM policy areas.
TYPES OF E-HRM:-
Based on the current literature, E-HRM can be distinguished into 3 categories in the companies as per their focus areas, which are: operational, relational, transformational E-HRM (Wright &Dyer, 2000, Lepak & Snell, 1998,).
• Operational E-HRM: - this area involves the basic HR activities. In some organizations, the HRM gives importance to administration and registration. Operational E-HRM gives the choice to the employees either to keep their own personal data up-to-date through a HR website or to have an administrative power in place to do this for them.
• Relational E-HRM: - this area, concerns on more advanced HRM activities. The helps the HR techniques that support basic business processes such as: recruiting and selecting of new personnel, training of new employees, performance appraisal, and rewards. It gives the option of selecting and recruiting the candidates either through a internet based application process or by using the process of manual application.
• Transformational E-HRM: - this area involves HRM activities with a planned character. Here the emphasis is about the activities regarding organizational change processes, strategic re-orientation, strategic competence management, and strategic knowledge management. It is a mixed internet technique which enables the personnel to develop in line with the company’s choices.
HOW E-HRM HELPS THE HRM (HUMAN RESOUCE MANAGEMENT) OF THE ORGANISATION:-
It covers all aspects of human resource management like personnel administration, training, career development, corporate organization, job descriptions, selection and hiring process, employee's data base etc. Therefore E-HRM is a method of doing HRM.
By following the path of E-HRM, an organization expects to achieve certain targets such as; a development in the HR’s strategic orientation, an improvement in client focusing, and a decrease in costs or increased efficiency.
Improving HR services:
Use of E-HRM, satisfied the HR to the maximum level. It raises flexibility in work, endorses modernism and allows the employees to increase development, and motivation. Furthermore, it reduces the repetitive questions of employees such as in regards to the training packages, and a policy guideline etc and also allows consultation at any time. It also helps in announcing job vacancies and important events...