BUS 1403 Business Ethics and Corporate Governance.
Worksheet – 20 February 2013
Please complete the following tasks:
By looking at the online text (BB Learn, Course content, Week 1,Text/Readings, Textbook Chapter 1pdf) complete the following exercise:
Deontology – Underlying rules (page 14 of online text)
1. Which person is generally regarded as being the founder of deontology?
Deontology has its foundations in the works of Immanuel Kant
2. Explain what is meant by the Golden rule.
Do unto as you would have them do unto you
3. Read the sentence which talks about acting in an ethical way because it is one’s duty. Does this make deontology a consequential or non-consequential theory?
It implies that one should act in an ethical way because it is one's duty,
Utilitarianism – Ethical behaviour in terms of desired outcomes (page 15 online) 1. Is utilitarianism based on moral rules or ends?
Based on ends
2. Under the classic utilitarian view when is an action right?
3. What example is given in the text to justify lying (see mother/baby example)
Virtue based ethics (page 21 online)
1. Which two Greek philosophers are famous for this idea? Beauchamp& Bowie
2. What are virtues - rules or personal characteristics?
3. List 7 virtues that Aristotle thought a person should have “to live well”
Basic personal rights – (page 22 online)
1. List 6 famous examples of certain basic rights
2. What do you think is meant by “universal rights”?
3. In Sweden, in what year did women have the right to vote: in local elections (……………) and then in the general/national election (……………..)?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document