Solve the following problems showing all your work including equations and units. 1. Calculate the mass of a liquid with a density of 3.2 g/mL and a volume of 25 mL. (answer = 80 g)
2. An irregular object with a mass of 18 kg displaces 2.5 L of water when placed in a large overflow container. Calculate the density of the object. (answer = 7.2 kg/L or 7.2 g/mL or 7.2 g/cm3)
3. A graduated cylinder has a mass of 80 g when empty. When 20 mL of water is added, the graduated cylinder has a mass of 100 g. If a stone is added to the graduated cylinder, the water level rises to 45 mL and the total mass is now 156 g. What is the density of the stone? (answer = 2.24 g/mL or 2.24 g/cm3)
Chemistry: Density Problems (there are no problems on the test where you have to calculate volume of l x w x h.)
For each problem below, write the equation and show your work. Always use units and box in your final answer.
1. The density of silver (Ag) is 10.5 g/cm3. Find the mass of Ag that occupies 965 cm3 of space.
2. A 2.75 kg sample of a substance occupies a volume of 250.0 cm3. Find its density in g/cm3.
3. Under certain conditions, oxygen gas (O2) has a density of 0.00134 g/mL. Find the volume occupied by 250.0 g of O2 under the same conditions.
4. Find the volume that 35.2 g of carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) will occupy if it has a density of 1.60 g/mL.
5. The density of ethanol is 0.789 g/mL. Find the mass of a sample of ethanol that has a volume of 150.0 mL.
6. 30.0 g of each of the following acids are needed. Find the volume of each that must be measured out in a graduated cylinder.
A. hydrochloric acid (HCl), density = 1.164 g/mL
B. sulfuric acid (H2SO4), density = 1.834 g/mL
C. nitric acid (HNO3), density = 1.251 g/mL
7. A rectangular block of lead (Pb) measures 20.0 mm X 30.0 mm X 45.0 mm. If the density of Pb is 11.34 g/cm3, calculate the mass of...