Mary Shelkey, RN, PhD
Editor: Conchita Rader, MA, RN
Staff Development Partners Edition
EXPECTED STAFF (Cognitive) COMPETENCIES
1. Describe the prevalence of depression in older adults.
2. Use an assessment instrument for depression in older adults (see Module 5. Cognitive / Mental Status Assessment of Older Adults)
3. Discuss symptoms and treatment strategies for depression in older adults.
4. Describe the prevalence of delirium and dementia in older adults.
5. Discuss the symptoms of delirium and dementia.
6. Discuss the assessment and treatment strategies for delirium and dementia.
7. Contrast criteria for differentiating depression, delirium, and dementia in older adults.
EXPECTED STAFF (Clinical) COMPETENCIES
|Behaviors |How validated |Novice |Advanced |Competent |Proficient |Expert | | | | |Beginner | | | | |Accurately assess for depression in an older |Direct observation of use of instrument, | | | | | | |adult client using a reliable assessment |and review of documented evidence of | | | | | | |instrument |findings | | | | | | |Recognize manifestations of depression, |Direct observation of assessment | | | | | | |delirium, and dementia in older adults | | | | | | | |Evaluate patient responses to treatment for |Review / discuss findings and | | | | | | |depression, delirium, and dementia |documentation; actions taken | | | | | | |Implement an individualized plan for |Direct observation of follow-up and use of | | | | | | |depression, delirium, and dementia |assessment tool to monitor for changes over| | | | | | | |time | | | | | | |Accurately assess depression, dementia, and |Direct observation of assessment techniques| | | | | | |delirium, based on clinical parameters |and strategies; review of documentation | | | | | | |Implement care environment alterations and |Direct observation of implemented measures | | | | | | |nonpharmacologic interventions to encourage |and patient outcomes | | | | | | |problem solving behaviors in patients with | | | | | | | |dementia. | | | | | | | Competency 1. Describe the prevalence of depression in older adults.
A. Depression constitutes the most common emotional disorder found in older people. Estimates of the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document