Instructions: This is an honors level course. Answer all questions fully using complete sentences. If you want full credit, please provide plenty of details.
1. How is the concept of homeostasis related to aging and disease? Provide examples to support your thinking.
• The body is constantly changing, no matter what age. It has to maintain homeostasis or balance at all times or if illness/death occurs. If your body is weakened, it then becomes harder to maintain this state. So if someone gets sick or deathly ill, the body has to work extra hard to get everything back in running order.
2. When we are dehydrated, we are thirsty and drink water. Is this part of negative or positive feedback control systems? Explain your reasoning.
• It is a negative feedback control system, because becoming dehydrated is a very bad thing. If we stay out in the sun to long. We lose a lot of water because of sweating, and then we become dehydrated. Our body knows how much water we should have and notices it’s getting to low. The body will send a signal to the brain to let it know that it needs water. Then we drink water and after a while everything gets back to normal.
3. Why would you have a hard time understanding physiology if you did not also understand anatomy?
• Anatomy without physiology would leave us with no answers as to how the body functions. Physiology would not exist without anatomy because there would not be any structures. So there would be no need to explain how they function. Neither would be complete without the other.
• You have to know what something is to know how it works. And you have to know how something works to really understand what it is.
4. Describe the different body cavities.
• Spinal- is within the vertebral column and encases the spinal cord
Please join StudyMode to read the full document