University of Phoenix
Part 1: Construct Development and Scale Creation
The construct that will be measure in this paper will be arrogance versus confidence. The construct development, scale creation, and process analysis will determine how arrogance or confident a person may be. An operational definition of this construct using in Driver,(2007), Vixie,(2011) and Johnson, Silverman, Shyamsunder, Swee, Rodopman, Cho, & Bauer, (2010) they basically describe arrogance as some who is conceited, boasting and hard to get along with. They think that they are better than ordinary people and confidence is someone who is aware of their strengths without putting others down. The five items that are used to sample my domain are: ego, self-pride, conceit, self-love, and vanity. Scaling method for measuring arrogance versus confidence will involve a survey consisting of 8 questions. These questions will test participants on well they are aware of themselves as being arrogant or confident in different settings. The instruments are as followed:
Confident or Arrogance Test
1. If you had an argument with a friend, and starting to think that you were wrong. What will you do? a. You call back to apologized
b. You call back to explain yourself
c. You wait until they call back
2. When you are wrong , you admit your faults:
b. Only when you are wrong
c. All the time
3. In arguments, who is usually right?
a. The other person
b. It depends on the argument
c. Or you
4. Is it easy to talk about your feelings?
a. Very easily
c. Depends on the situation
5. People who know you well think that you are:
a. Not proud of yourself
b. Proud of yourself when necessary
c. Very proud of yourself
6. When you run into an old acquaintance of your and they avoid you on purpose. Your reaction will be: a. Greet them as you always do
b. Ignore them
c. Greet them in a friendly way
7. Do you sometimes feel better than other people do?
8. Do you ever brag about your achievements with friends? a. Never
9. Have you ever avoided a person after a silly argument? a. Never
c. More than once
10. When someone offends you, what’s your reaction?
a. You feel embarrassed and keep silent
b. You immediately ask for an explanation
c. You get angry and prepare for revenge
Part II: Analysis and Justification
There can be some confusion between confidence and arrogance. As both shows a person having strong belief in their abilities. The difference comes in when their responses from other is revealed. A confident person will show humility toward other and on the other hand an arrogant person will show no concern for others. Usually people who are arrogant tend to have insecurity within them. An arrogant person will run away from areas that show weakness and play up areas of strength. As oppose to a confident persons who will acknowledge their weakness or faults. In Kerefoot,(2010) the author talks about how confident leader who become successful can easily be victims of hubris, which is known as arrogance. She talks about how leaders should stay grounded as their success grows. Being humble, grateful and appreciative can keep a person becoming overconfidence which will later lead to arrogance (Kerefoot, 2010). This paper will discuss how much the participants are aware of being confident or arrogance on their...