Components of Blood

Topics: Blood, Immune system, White blood cell Pages: 3 (1060 words) Published: October 31, 2012
Identifying and comparing the main components of blood.
Jason T Morrison.

Blood, what an amazing substance. It has only been since being set this task by one of my tutors, Dr C Dublon that I have truly realised how amazing blood really is.

Blood is not as some people may think just made up of one component, but many different components working together in an almost symbiotic relationship. The average human being carries approximately five litres of blood, which is equivalent to about 8% of their body weight. Out of the five litres(8%) of blood that we have we can categorise this blood into four main category’s, Plasma, Erythrocytes, more commonly known as Red Blood Cells(RBC), Leukocytes, more commonly known as White Blood Cells(WBC) and Platelets. These simplified four fields can and will be sub-categorised within this assignment.

My research tells me that 55% of blood is comprised of Plasma, 45% of Erythrocytes and 1% of WBC. Plasma is comprised mostly of water; in fact, 92% of plasma is water with the remaining 8% being protein. The main type of protein in plasma is albumin, which has two main jobs, the first being to reduce the fluid from leaking out of blood vessels. The second task that it performs is to attach its self to other substances such as hormones and other certain drugs. As with most of the other parts of the human body, plasma also has secondary functions such as being a reservoir of water, so that if the body requires it can replenish any additional liquids that are required. It is also a major part of making sure that the body’s blood vessels do not collapse by maintaining circulation and blood pressure. Last but by no means is least, within blood; plasma is the main contributor to the regulation of thermal heat energy (core temperature) by carrying warm blood to the extremities of the body, such as fingers and toes.

Erythrocytes, more commonly known as Red blood cells (RBC), are the only cell in the whole body that do not...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Biology
  • components of blood transport Essay
  • Essay on Blood Disorders and Their Components
  • Blood and Ans Essay
  • Essay about Blood
  • Blood and Blood Component Therapy in Neonates Essay
  • Blood Components: Questions and Answers Essay
  • Essay on Blood Splattering

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free