Chemistry Research Paper: Global Warming

Topics: Global warming, Greenhouse gas, Carbon dioxide Pages: 3 (1011 words) Published: August 29, 2013
A notorious controversy surfacing nationwide consists of global warming. Chemistry plays a vital role in studying the chemicals involved in the greenhouse effect. It is critical for chemists to be informed about substances that contribute to climate change which subsequently allows them to take action. Statistics regarding the global warming theory remain an issue in that scientists disagree about the causes and effects. However, the Earth has indeed risen in temperature. Scientists supporting the greenhouse effect argue the Earth could warm an average of 2°C within the next 20 years. In addition, global warming can be considered a partial cause of the hole in the ozone layer. All species will cease to exist from lethal ultraviolet radiation if the ozone layer is destroyed, thus meaning global warming is an issue that needs to be resolved. Global warming refers to the average temperature increase of the Earth’s atmosphere as a result of the enduring, increasing effect of greenhouse gases. First and foremost, greenhouse gases include chemical compounds found in Earth’s atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, nitrous oxide, as well as methane, which allow excessive amounts of sunlight to enter. Some of the sunlight that initially enters the Earth’s surface returns to space as infrared radiation. Greenhouse gases absorb this heat and it then remains stuck in the atmosphere forever. Once the heat and light are trapped, the temperature increases. With greenhouse gasses becoming a surplus occupying the atmosphere, the Earth will trap an enormous amount of heat, eventually making the Earth too hot. Once the Earth is too hot, life will become hazardous for all creatures. With 97% of scientists who reportedly support global warming, the remaining 3% evidently do not (Forbes 1). The global warming theory proposed by supporters of the subject follows a chain of three steps. According to Forbes Magazine, CO_2 contributes to the cause of warming, a series of...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Global Warming Essay
  • Global Warming Research Paper
  • global warming reasearch paper
  • Global Warming Paper
  • global warming Essay
  • Global Warming Essay
  • Global warming Essay
  • global warming Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free