a. aqueous solution- a solution in water
b. colloid mixture of large molecules that will not settle or join with the other substance it is in
c. concentration ratio of mass or volume of solute to mass or volume of solvent
d. heterogeneous a mixture is made up by two or more different substance which are (mixed) together but are not combined
e. homogenous mixture mixture that is uniform throughout
f. Henry’s Law An expression for calculating the solubility of a gas in a fluid based on temperature and partial pressure
g. solution mixture of two or more substances
h. Molarity concentration measured by the number of moles of solute per liter of solution.
i. Osmosis The tendency of molecules of a solvent to pass through a semipermeable membrane from a less concentrated solution into a more concentrated solution
j. Solubility the quantity of a particular substance that can dissolve in a particular solvent
2. Classify each substance as a heterogeneous mixture, solution, or colloid.
a. Cherry Garcia ice cream ( cherry ice cream + chocolate bits + cherries) colloid
b. mayonnaise solution
c. seltzer water solution
d. nail polish remover
e. brass (an alloy of copper and zinc) heterogeneous
3. Which compounds are water soluble?
a. sodium nitrate (NaNO3) yesb. methane (CH4) no
c. potassium bromide (KBr) yesd. carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) no
4. Which pairs of compounds will form a solution? NEED HELP
a. benzene (C6H6) and hexane (C6H14)b. NaCl and hexane (C6H14)
c. sodium sulfate (Na2SO4 ) and water (H2O)d. Water (H2O) and xarbon tetrachloride (CCl4)
5. Why does a soft drink become “flat” faster when it is left open at room temperature compared to when it is left open in the refrigerator? molecules move faster the warmer they are
6. Predict the effect each change has on the solubility of (1) Na2CO3 (s) (2) N2(g).
a. increasing the temperaturemoreb. increasing the pressure more...