Chapter 16 vocabulary:
1. Protestant reformation: the 16th century schism within western Christianity initiated by Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other Protestants.
2. Catholic counter-reformation: the period of catholic revival beginning with the Council of Trent and ending at the close of the Thirty Years War, which is sometimes considered a response to the protestant reformation.
3. Taki Ongoy: a conceptual work that recalls Taki Unquy, the political milenarist movement against the invasion of the Spanish culture in South America.
4. Jesuits in China: part of the history of relations between China and the Western World.
5. Wahhabi Islam: A conservative branch of Sunni Islam.
6. Wang Yangmin: A Ming Chinese idealist Neo-Confucian philosopher, official, educationist, calligraphist, and general.
7. Kaozheng: Scholars in Beijing and the rich cities of Yangtze delta from politics to the study of texts.
8. Mirabai: An aristocratic Hindu mystical singer and devotee of lord Krishna from Rajasthan and one of the most significant figures of the Sant tradition of the Vaishnava Bhakti movement.
9. Sikhism: A monotheistic religion founded during the 15th century in the Punjab region, by Guru Nanak Dev which continued to progress with ten successive Sikh gurus.
10. Copernicus: A renaissance astronomer and the first person to formulate a comprehensive heliocentric cosmology, which placed the Earth in the center of the universe.
11. Newton: an English physicist, astronomer, mathematician, natural philosopher, alchemist, and theologian, who is considered by many the greatest and most influential scientist that ever lived.
12. European Enlightenment: a cultural movement of intellectuals in the 17th and 18th centuries, first in Europe and later in the American colonies.
13. Voltaire: a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit and for his advocacy of civil... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). Chapter 16 Vocab. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chapter-16-Vocab-1306004.html
"Chapter 16 Vocab" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chapter-16-Vocab-1306004.html>.
"Chapter 16 Vocab." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Chapter-16-Vocab-1306004.html.