Noise can be defined as an unwanted or undesired sound. Decibel is the standard unit for measurement of sound. Usually 80 db is the level at which sound becomes physically painful. And can be termed as noise. Humans, animals, plants and even inert objects like buildings and bridges have been victims of the increasing noise pollution caused in the world. Be it human or machine-created, noise disrupts the activity and balance of life. While traffic dons the cap of being the largest noise maker throughout the world, there are many others that add to it, making our globe susceptible to its effects. The effect of noise pollution is multi-faceted and inter-related. In the following lines, we have provided some of the causes and effects of noise pollution.
Causes Of Noise Pollution
* Traffic noise is the main source of noise pollution caused in urban areas. With the ever-increasing number of vehicles on road, the sound caused by the cars and exhaust system of autos, trucks, buses and motorcycles is the chief reason for noise pollution.
* With the low flying military aircrafts soaring over the national parks, wasteland and other vacant areas, the level of noise pollution has drastically increased in these previously unaffected zones.
* People living beside railway stations put up with a lot of noise from locomotive engines, horns and whistles and switching and shunting operation in rail yards. This is one of the major sources of noise pollution.
* To meet the demands of the basic necessity of living, the construction of buildings, highways and city streets causes a lot of noise. Pneumatic hammers, air compressors, bulldozers, loaders, dump trucks and pavement breakers are the major sources of noise pollution in construction sites.
* Though not a prime reason, industrial noise adds to the noise pollution. Machinery, motors and compressors used in the industries create a lot of noise which adds to the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 09). Causes and Effects of Noise Pollution. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-And-Effects-Of-Noise-Pollution-1105000.html
"Causes and Effects of Noise Pollution" StudyMode.com. 09 2012. 2012. 09 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-And-Effects-Of-Noise-Pollution-1105000.html>.
- MLA 7
"Causes and Effects of Noise Pollution." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2012. Web. 09 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-And-Effects-Of-Noise-Pollution-1105000.html>.
"Causes and Effects of Noise Pollution." StudyMode.com. 09, 2012. Accessed 09, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Causes-And-Effects-Of-Noise-Pollution-1105000.html.