2. If two organisms belong to the same phylum, they both must also belong to which of the following? (2 points) (0 pts) class
(0 pts) genus
(2 pts) kingdom
(0 pts) order
2 /2 points
3. Why might knowledge of the gene and protein sequences of a species be useful in classifying that species? (2 points) (0 pts) It would allow more accurate naming of the species by basing names on genes rather than appearance. (0 pts) It would keep the species from being interbred with any other species that might appear physically similar to it. (2 pts) It would make it possible to compare that species to other species at a level deeper than outward appearance. (0 pts) It would prove that all the members of a given species were genetically identical to each other. 0 /2 points
4. How are viruses different from bacteria? (2 points)
(0 pts) Bacteria are heterotrophic while viruses are autotrophic. (2 pts) Bacteria are living organisms; viruses are not.
(0 pts) Bacteria have a membrane bound nucleus while viruses do not. (0 pts) Bacteria are multicellular; viruses are single cells. 0 /2 points
5. A single-celled organism is found living in a deep sea vent at the bottom of the ocean in extremely hot water. If it is examined further, which of the following is most likely to be found within it? (2 points) (0 pts) It will have a cell membrane since it is likely a member of the domain archaea and the kingdom protista. (0 pts) It will have a nucleus and other membrane-bound organelles since it is likely a member of the domain eukaryota. (0 pts) It will have DNA and RNA, as well as a cell wall, since it is likely a member of the domain bacteria. (2 pts) It will have DNA that is not contained in a nucleus since it is likely a member of the domain archaea. 0 /2 points
6. Binary fission is a characteristic of kingdom ______ and is most similar to the cellular processes of ___________. (2 points) (0 pts) protista; meiosis, because the two rounds of cell divisions result in haploid cells (2 pts) bacteria; mitosis, because the cell replicates its DNA and divides into daughter cells (0 pts) viruses; transcription, because the DNA is copied exactly (0 pts) fungi; translation, because proteins are made using the copied segments of mRNA 2 /2 points
7. The processes of transformation and transduction are important to which kingdom and why? (2 points) (0 pts) protista; Both processes are steps in the process of putting the protista into the endospore state which provides protection from harsh conditions. (2 pts) bacteria; Both processes provide the bacteria with new genes that might provide new ways of dealing with environmental changes. (0 pts) fungi; Both processes would allow fungi to form physical connections to other bacteria so they could trade genes useful for survival. (0 pts) viruses; Both processes would help a virus strain produce flagella to move away from difficult environmental conditions. 0 /2 points
8. Which of the following bacterial cells would best be able to survive an attack by an antibiotic? (2 points) (0 pts) a bacterial cell that had a cell membrane made of ester-linked fatty acids (2 pts) a bacterial cell that lacked receptors on its surface for...