General Function: To inform
Specific purpose: To inform my audience of the history of the Barbie Doll.
Organization Design: Topical
Attention-Arousing and Orienting Material:
When you think long hair, perfect skin, trendy clothes, and a rockin’ body, what comes to every little girls mind? Barbie of course!
As a child I had a Barbie or two, or twenty. When the day was rainy and no friends could come over and play I always knew my dear friends Tara and Tonya would be there for me. They were my favorite Barbie. They were twins, only because one Christmas I received the same doll from two different sides of the family. Both with long brown hair like me. In a way I felt like we were triplets. Hey! Every girl can dream.
Barbie was known to be every little girls friend and best secret keeper.
Preview of the Main Points:
First I will inform you a little about who had the brilliant idea of Barbie. Secondly I will give you the history of the very first Barbie. Lastly I will describe the changes of Barbie from then until now.
(Transition: Let me start off by telling you who the master mind behind Barbie was)
I: The Barbie doll was invented in 1959 by Ruth Handler, whom referred to herself as “Barbie’s Mom”
A: Ruth (co-founder of Mattel) invented and anatomically improbable molded plastic statuette named Barbie.
1. Ruth was born November 4, 1916 in Colorado.
2. She lived 84 long years before kicking the bucket on April 27, 2002 in Los Angeles, CA.
3. Ruth was the first to invent, first to patent, the doll we call Barbie.
B: After watching her daughter spend long hours making paper dolls, she knew there had to be a better way
1. Ruth wanted every little girl to have the chance to be who she dreamed of
2. With Barbie it was possible for every girl to escape from life’s busy times.
3. She could grab her Barbie and BOMB… she was all the sudden imagining roles as college students, cheerleaders, and adults with any desirable career.
4. She wanted to better facilitate the way young girls were playing with their dolls.
(Transition: Who is Barbie?)
II: Barbie, invented in 1959 is the icon for both a steady outlet for girls dreams and a ever changing reflection of the American society.
A. Unlike the baby dolls, Barbie had an adult bod
1. Barbie represents a woman of choice
2. Barbie can be a doctor today, and live off her dads money tomorrow.
3. Even in the early years of Barbie she didn’t have to settle for only being Kens Girlfriend.
B. The first Barbie was sold for $3
1. Her additional clothing, based on latest runway fashion was sold for $1-5
2. In the first years, 300,000 Barbie’s were sold.
C. There’s not just one type of Barbie
1. In 1965, Barbie had bendable legs and eyes that opened and closed
2. In 1967, Barbie’s waist could now twist and turn
3. The best seller was released in 1992, the “totally Hair Barbie”
(Transition: Barbie has underwent a couple “surgeries” over the years)
III: Barbie has changed a lot over the past 54 years
A. Barbie now days are a bite different
1. From the first Barbie to the ones now day a lot has changed
2. Some of these changes are
a. Arched back
b. Underwear are now flesh colored
c. Her ribcage is more deflated
d. She gained a butt
B. Barbie’s clothes have become more reveling
1. Her first outfit (the 1 piece black and white swimsuit) is now a string bikini
2. Skirts have become shorter
Please join StudyMode to read the full document