Topic: Identify the food product (Maggi 2-Minute noodles), Cigarette (British American Tobacco Group), Electronic good (Symphony mobile phone) are safe or unsafe under the Consumer Rights Protection Act 2009.
Submitted by: Group-5
Muhammad Shahreer Imran (L)100206007
Md. Masud Rana100106002
Naguib Jahan Shafi100206014
Md. Akhlas Hossain Subuz110106019
Surma Akter Mili100206003
MS. Shirajum Munira Lecturer
Dept. of BBA
Green University of Bangladesh
Date of submission: 11 December, 2011.
Research of food item (Maggi Noodles)
Research of cigarettes (British American tobacco group)
Research of electric good (Symphony mobile)
Introduction: Nowadays, the rest of consumers around the world are seeking and using the products that are not harmful or unsafe. They want such things as safe. For this reason, the government of Bangladesh has established The Consumer Rights Protection Act 2009. Under this act, harmful elements are strictly prohibited in the production of any commodity and every product must be examined and certified by the BSTI (Bangladesh Standard Testing Institute) and also the ISO (International Standard Organization) for some specific products. As our goal is to identify the products as safe or unsafe under The Consumer Rights Protection Act 2009, firstly we will discuss about the criteria of the stated act and then we will investigate the particular products by following The Consumer Rights Protection Act 2009. In this case, we would like to mention the criteria of a safe product under The Consumer Rights Protection Act 2009:-
• The products characteristics;
• Instructions for assembly and maintenance, use and disposal;
• The effect on other products with which it might be used;
• Labeling and other information provided for the consumer; and
• The categories of consumers at risk when using the product, particularly children and the elderly.
Research of food item (Maggi Noodles): We have chosen Maggi noodles for the investigation as a food item. As it is a pre-packed food item, we will have to observe the following terms of consumer protection:-
• Name of the commodity on the package
• Name and address of the manufacturer/packer
• The net quantity of the commodity in the package
• The month and year in which the commodity is manufactured or pre-packed
• The sale price of the pre-packed commodity
• The consumers has no obligation to pay more than the price marked in the package
• It is his right to seek redressal in case of grievance. He can make a complaint however small the amount involved maybe.
We will also observe if there any harmful substance contains in the Maggi noodles. Food is declared adultered if:-
• A substance is added which depreciates or injuriously affects it. • Cheaper or inferior substances are substitutes wholly or in part. • Any valuable or necessary constituent has been wholly or in part abstracted. • It is an imitation.
• It is coloured or otherwise treated, to improve its appearance or if its substances are injurious to health. • For whatever reason its quality is below the standard.
• Name of the commodity on the package: Maggi, 2-Minute Noodles
• Name and address of the manufacturer: Nestle Bangladesh Limited
Rajendropur Cantonment, Shripur, Gazipur-1740.
• Net quantity is 248 Gram
• The production date and expire date were labeled on the package