Phone: 548-4051 room 112
Course Description: The new college-level social studies course provides students with the opportunity to identify and analyze contemporary concerns and problems from local, national, and global perspectives in Human Geography. Using geographical tools and skills, we will explore issues such as population distribution and composition, cultural patterns and processes, political organization, land use, industrialization and economic development, and urbanization. The AP Human Geography student will take the World Geography Standards of Learning test (SOL) and is eligible to take the AP Human Geography exam. Attendance is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED due to the pace of covered material.
Course Objective: This course is designed to instill in students a strong understanding of the patterns and processes that reflect and shape human impact upon the earth. Students will learn the importance of spatial analysis and evaluation, to employ spatial concepts, geographic vocabulary, and landscape interpretation, and develop a geographic perspective from the analysis of several outside works of non-fiction regarding various geographical topics.
Themes of the Course:
- Importance of spatial analysis and interpretation
- Recognizing and drawing conclusions in the study of patterns and processes.
- The cause and effect of human beings on the rural and urban landscape.
- The role of geography in shaping culture and society.
- Understanding the tools and procedures used by geographers to make analysis and draw conclusions.
- Textbook is Rubenstein’s The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography. 9th ed. Upper
Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 2008. (school will provide textbook)
-Workbook Preparing for the World Geography SOLs Amsco Publishing (school will provide workbook)
- Notebook (like a 3-ringed binder)... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 06). Ap Human Geography - Essay. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Human-Geography-Essay-726182.html
"Ap Human Geography - Essay" StudyMode.com. 06 2011. 06 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Human-Geography-Essay-726182.html>.
"Ap Human Geography - Essay." StudyMode.com. 06, 2011. Accessed 06, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Human-Geography-Essay-726182.html.