The industrial attachment is an important part of the course structure of the university. This is the time students appreciate the theoretical work done in the lecture halls when seen practically. This attachment introduces the student to the outside world in terms of working experience and also prepares them for the future. The department of applied biology therefore introduced the industrial attachment program in its learning curriculum to give students a chance to combine theoretical knowledge with practical skills in the working environment. It requires a student to go for industrial attachment in his chosen field of profession for a period of eight weeks. At the end of the attachment program, the student is expected to write a report that incorporates work experiences gained linking it to the theoretical knowledge acquired in school.
OBJECTIVES OF SUPERVISED INDUSTRIAL ATTACHMENT
To provide the student an opportunity to apply his or her knowledge in real situation thereby bridging the gap between university work and actual practice.
To expose the student to work methods not taught in school and to provide access to equipment not available in the university environment.
To assess the interest of the student in the occupation he or she plans to take.
To expose students to the structures, operations and integration of different departments in laboratory such the microbiology, biochemistry, parasitology and hematology.
To expose the student to the behavior of organizations both in the internal and external environment and encourage then to be productive and hardworking whilst developing chemists for the future.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL
HISTORY OF THE MILITARY HOSPITAL
The Military Hospital is a general hospital situated about 4km from the Accra International Airport on the main Airport - Central road (Independence Avenue Road). It is a walking distance from the Golden Tulip Hotel, a popular and modern 4- Star Hotel and located directly opposite the Army Officers Mess. During World War II, it became operationally and logistically necessary for Britain to take over the defense and security of the West African sub – region. The responsibility was given to the war office with Lt Gen Giffard as the General Officer commanding the West Africa region. The General established his operational Headquarters in the Gold Coast. As a result of the war, there was an urgent need for Casualty Clearing Stations (CCS) and general Military Hospitals within the colonies to attend to the medical needs of the numerous service personnel deployed in combat in several theatres. General Giffard requested the war office in the UK for the necessary logistics and administrative support for setting up a Military Hospital in the Gold Coast. The Public Work Department was commissioned by the colonial officers to construct the buildings and by 4th July, 1941 the Base Hospital in Accra was completed to begin operation as the 37th general Hospital within the British Empire. Soon after the war in 1946, the size of the hospital was re- designated Military Hospital to the Gold Coast to serve as one of the support service providers within the Armed Forces. Over the years, the hospital has grown to become the second largest medical facility in Ghana’s capital, Accra and the third largest in the country after Korle – Bu (Accra) and Komfo-Anokye (Kumasi). As a Military institution and for operational flexibility, technical efficiency and administrative ease, the hospital has been well structured to carry out its roles and task. It is therefore organized into working units or subunits- Divisions and Departments on the basis of medical, paramedical and administrative lines, with their own heads. The subunits operate with a Commanding Officer (CO) at the apex. The CO is responsible to higher Headquarters for the smooth running of the hospital. The pathology as one of the divisions is made up...