An Exercise in Solution Preparation – the Br Oscillation Reaction

Topics: Iodine, Chemistry, Oxygen Pages: 2 (524 words) Published: November 8, 2010
Abstract 1
An Exercise in Solution Preparation – The BR Oscillation Reaction
By Issra Mehdi
Date: January 28, 2010

This experiment was performed using familiarity with molarity, percent composition, and density to prepare solutions that will display chemical oscillation upon mixing. Solution A was prepared by transferring the calculated amount of malonic acid to a volumetric flask with a small amount of distilled water. Then the calculated amount of manganese sulphate solution was pipeted to the same volumetric flask along with distilled water to the mark. Solution A was then transferred to a labelled beaker. Solution B was prepared by collecting 30mL of sulfuric acid and the calculated amount of potassium iodate into a beaker. The solution was heated to a low setting until the potassium iodate was completely dissolved. After the solution cooled down, it was transferred into a volumetric flask and was made up to the volume with .080 M H2SO4. Solution C contained only one solute which was hydrogen peroxide. It was a reagent grade 30% (w/w) aqueous solution which required a dilution. Calculations were made and checked prior to preparing the solution. The solution was then diluted to the mark with distilled water. Solution D which was 3% starch solution was already prepared in a dropper bottle. Four drops of solution D was added into a clean beaker. 10 mL of solutions A, B, and C were transferred into separate graduated cylinders. The solutions were then poured into the beaker containing starch at the same time. After some mixing, my lab partner and I noticed a colour change appearing in our solution. The sequence of colours we observed went from clear yellow clear blue clear yellow. The reaction came to a complete stop when it turned black. Although the calculations were done properly and everything was set up like the way it was supposed to be, my lab partner and I ran through some problems as we were conducting this experiment. One source of error...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Preparation of the NaOH Solution Research Paper
  • Preparation of Solutions and Buffers Essay
  • Preparation of a Primary Standard Solution Essay
  • Preparation of Buffer and Solution Essay
  • Solution Preparation and Standardization Essay
  • Exercise Solutions Essay
  • Report: Chemical Reaction and Solution Essay
  • Essay about Preparation and standardisation of base and acid solution

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free