Homework Assignment Chapter 4
Addiction Studies (BHHS)
1. Describe, the action of Barbiturates. They reduce sensory sensitivity to pleasure or pain. Replace’s the need for sex, food and emotional involvement. 2. Describe the action of benzodiazepines and their withdrawal symptoms. Benzodiazepines are minor tranquilizers; they cause dopamine levels to surge producing a pleasurable sensation. Withdrawal involves seizures, convulsions, and even death. 3. What is the biggest danger with drug synergism when using two depressant drugs? Overdose!
4. What is a paradoxical reaction to tranquilizers? Becoming more active instead of calmer. 5. Why is withdrawal so life threatening for alcohol and the barbiturates? Both can lead to Seizures and death.
6. Who is the hidden addict? An unborn Fetus can be, if the mother is an addict. ______________________________________________________________________________
1. What is the approximate percentage of alcohol in beer? Wine? Whiskey? Beer5% - Wine15% - Whiskey45%
2. What does BAC stand for? Blood Alcohol Concentration. 3. Describe the processing of alcohol from digestion to absorption. 20% is absorbed by the stomach the remaining 80% is absorbed in the small intestines. 4. What is alcohol effect on digestion and liver? Alcohol can stop digestion and increase hydrochloric acid production. Alcohol also causes a drop in blood sugar which can lead to a hypoglycemic state. 5. Name some factors that often predict alcoholism? Poor learning ability, poor judgment, short-term memory is affected. 6. After frequent high dose use… which is more dangerous: immediate alcohol withdrawal or immediate heroin withdrawal? Alcohol is more immediate....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document