* Standardized testing prepares students for college (but if there is not testing at any level then there is no need for standardized testing.)
* It is practical- strict directions and easy to give and time efficient and easy to grade
* Standardized testing offsets grade inflation ( consistently compares student knowledge)
* Standardized testing is objective bc a machine grade it and the mood biases do not affect the grade.
* Without grading how can u judge a persons abilities
* A way to distinguishing outstanding men and women from lesser known schools and universities vs. premiere universities ie. Harvard and yale
* Some students testing skills are weaker than others and need another way to be “tested” such as presentations, quizzes , homework etc.
* Not grading and only testing would create too much stress on just the test bc it is a pass or fail situation with only test not other means of showing your knowledge.
Arguments against grading
* Standardized testing is biased against certain groups. Standardized testing shows bias towards women and groups of ethnic and socioeconomic diversity. In regards to an income bias, wealthy students become more prepared for standardized tests through better life experiences, such as top-quality schools and test prep tutors.
* Standardized testing adds too much stress to student lives. Students spend a lot of time stressing over the SAT/ACT when they could be focusing their energy on more important academic and social activities that could benefit them in the future.
* Standardized testing impedes the assessment of a very important skill. For the most part, standardized tests hinder any sort of creative or out-of-the-box thinking, which is a skill needed in college and in the workforce.
* Makes students feel stupid or useless
* It does not allow a student to get real life work experience for their degree or subject they are studying ex. Med students... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 02). Abolishing Grading - Standardized Testing. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Abolishing-Grading-Standardized-Testing-574434.html
"Abolishing Grading - Standardized Testing" StudyMode.com. 02 2011. 02 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Abolishing-Grading-Standardized-Testing-574434.html>.
"Abolishing Grading - Standardized Testing." StudyMode.com. 02, 2011. Accessed 02, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Abolishing-Grading-Standardized-Testing-574434.html.