Ability grouping is grouping students according to their ability. The practice of grouping student according to their level of academic skills allows a teacher to provide a uniform level of instruction to an entire group. TYPES OF GROUPING
1. Between class
2. Within class ability grouping
Between- class grouping refers to a schools’ practice of forming classroom that contain students of similar ability. Within class grouping refers to the teachers’ practice forming group of students of similar ability within an individual class.
Whyte, Millicent (1995) Development of Education in Jamaica
Schaefer, T Richard. (2000) Sociology A Brief Introduction 3rd edition Boston Burr Ridge, IL Madison, WI New York.
Taylor, Paul& Richardson, Joh (2002) Sociology in Focus: Gordon Hughes
Goodman, Norman. (1982) Society Today 5th edition DePaul University
Barr, Rebacca & Johnson, Baraba. (1991) Sociology Themes and Perspectives 4th Anglin- Hyman, Rhona. (2000) Education and Society: An Introduction Bethlehem Moravian College
The Daily Gleaner Articles
* A Vision for Education dated March 13,2009
* Elitist Education dated March 20, 2009
* Rethink Education Philosophy dated March 24, 2009
* Trickle-down Education dated May 12, 2009
* Time-out for problem students coming September dated March 28,2009 * Dissolve and reconstitute education ministry dated January 16, 2009.
Ability Grouping Ability grouping is grouping students according to their ability. The practice of grouping student according to their level of academic skills allows a teacher to provide a uniform level of instruction to an entire group....