• According to the definitions of stress, identify the components of which stress is comprised. o 1. A stressor or some sort of demand, pressure, situation, or event 2. our perception of that stressor 3. an emotional reactions 4. a psychiological reaction • Describe the two types of stress and the two types of distress. o public speaking, abusive relationship
• Describe the Yerkes-Dodson Principle.
o Too little stress, as well as too much stress, is unhealthy • Describe the types of stressors.
o Physiological stressor: illness, injury, etc Sociological stressor: relationships with others psychological stressor: subconscious perception of yourself philosophical stressor: stems from not living with your values/beliefs • Define each of the dimensions of health.
o Physical health social health emotional health intellectual health spiritual health environmental health occupational health holistic health: comprehensive and includes more than physical health • Describe how stress and health are related.
o quality of each dimension of health may perpetuate and exacerbate a stressful life or contribute to peaceful life • Briefly identify results from NCHA regarding stress as it’s related to health, obesity, and smoking. o obese people (high BMI) were most stressed under them, underweight students • Identify the pioneers of stress and with what they are credited. o Walter Cannon
o Edmund Jacobson
o Hans Selye
o Thomas Holmes
o Richard Lazarus
o Anita Delongis
o Richard Rahe
• Describe the Social Readjustment Rating Scale.
o Life changes scale” Predict relative chances of getting sick from stressors o Life Change Unit(LCU), The higher the score the more likely a health problem will occur. • Describe Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and how his theory relates to stress. o Phenomenon that humans have certain needs
o Top to bottom: Self Realization, Self Esteem, Social Desire, Safety and Stability, Physiological Desire. • Identify the components of the ABCs of Human Needs.
• Identify the prevalence of stress among Americans.
• Briefly describe results from NCHA regarding stress and ethnicity among college students. • Briefly describe results from NCHA regarding differences among male and female college students. • Briefly describe differences in the way males and females handle stress. • Identify the number of workers who experience high levels of stress. o 9 of out 10 1- 2 times a week, 1 and 4 experience it everyday • Identify the number of workers who said job stress lowered their productivity and caused frequent ailments. o 7 out of 10
• Identify how many workers have taken a mental health day off of work due to stress. o 1 out of 4
• Identify differences in health care costs associated with workers who report that they are stressed compared to those that aren’t stressed. o 46% higher or 600 more per person than other emplyees
• Describe the Model of Stress.
o Stressor, Thoughts/Perceptions, Feelings/Emotions, Physiological Reactions, Health Consequences. • Describe psychophysiology and psychoneuroimmunology. • Describe the three stages of GAS.
• Describe what happens during the fight-or-flight response (or stress response). • Describe what happens to each physiological system during the stress response. • Describe what happens to specific organs during the stress response. • Identify the three glands that are most closely associated with the stress response. • Identify the hormone(s) that are associated with being in a stressed state and a relaxed state....