Functional Movement Screen (for all tests if pain score is 0)
* Assesses bilateral, symmetrical, and functional mobility of the hips, knees, and ankles. * Dowel held overhead assesses bilateral, symmetrical functional mobility of the shoulders as well as the thoracic spine. * Description
* Athlete places feet slightly farther than shoulder width and places hands on the dowel to form a 90o angle at elbows overhead. * Athlete presses the dowel overhead with the shoulder flexed and abducted and elbows extended. Descends slowly into a squat position with heels on the floor, head and chest facing forward and dowel pressed maximally overhead. * Three chances to perform the test.
* Upper torso is parallel with tibia or toward vertical. * Femur is below horizontal
* Knees are aligned over feet
* Dowel is aligned over feet.
* Upper torso is parallel with tibia or toward vertical * Femur is below horizontal
* Knees are not aligned over feet
* Dowel is aligned over feet
* Heels on 2x6 board
* Tibia and upper torso are not parallel
* Femur is not below horizontal
* Knees are not aligned over feet
* Lumbar flexion is noted.
* Assesses bilateral functional mobility and stability of the hips, knees, and ankles * Description
* Athlete places feet together and aligns the toes directly beneath the hurdle * Hurdle adjusted to the height of the athlete’s tibial tuberosity, and the dowel is positioned across the athlete’s shoulders below the neck. * Athlete slowly steps over the hurdle and touches the heel to the floor while keeping the stance leg in extended position. Weight should remain on stance leg. * Slowly returns to the starting position
* Three chances to perform the test
* Perform test on opposite leg if score is lower record that one. * Score
* Hips, knees and ankles remain aligned in the sagittal plane * Minimal to no movement is noted in lumbar spine
* Dowel and hurdle remain parallel
* Alignment lost between hips, knees, and ankles
* Movement is noted in lumbar spine
* Dowel and hurdle do not remain parallel
* Contact between foot and hurdle occurs
* Loss of balance is noted.
* Assesses hip mobility and stability, quadriceps flexibility and ankle and knee stability * Description
* Tester measures the length of the tibia with yard stick * Athlete places one foot on end of 2x6 board and holds dowel behind the back with right arm up and left down. Dowel touches head, thoracic spine, and sacrum. * Tester measures from toes and places mark at length of tibia. * Athlete takes a step with left leg and places the heel on the mark, lowers back knee enough to touch the board behind the front foot. Feet should be in same line pointing straight forward. * Three chances to perform the test.
* Perform test opposite way if score is lower record that one. * Score
* Minimal to no torso movement is noted
* Feet remain in sagittal plane on the 2x6
* Knee touches the 2x6 behind heel of front foot
* Movement is noted in torso
* Feet do not remain in sagittal plane
* Knee does not touch behind heel of front foot
* Loss of balance is noted
* Assesses bilateral shoulder ROM, combining internal rotation with adduction and external rotation with abduction. * Requires normal scapular mobility and thoracic spine extension * Description
* Tester determines the athlete’s...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document