2) Bones are classified by whether they are weight-bearing or protective in function.
3) The trabeculae of spongy bone are oriented toward lines of stress.
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question. 4) The cell responsible for secreting the matrix of bone is the: A) osteoblast.
5) What kind of tissue is the forerunner of long bones in the embryo? C) hyaline cartilage
6) The most abundant skeletal cartilage type is:
7) The periosteum is secured to the underlying bone by dense connective tissue called: A) Sharpey's fibers.
8) Which hormone increases osteoclast activity to release more calcium ions into the8) bloodstream? A) parathyroid hormone
9) Vertebrae are considered ________ bones.
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false. 10) The thin filaments (actin) contain a polypeptide subunit G actin that seems to have no function.10) F
11) The force of muscle contraction is controlled by multiple motor unit summation or recruitment.11) T
12) A contraction in which the muscle does not shorten but its tension increases is called isometric.12) T
13) Muscle contraction will always promote movement of body parts regardless of how they are attached.13) F
14) The effect of the neurotransmitter on the muscle cell membrane is to modify its permeability properties temporarily.
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
15) Calcium ions bind to the ________ molecule in skeletal muscle cells.B) troponin
16) Myoglobin: D) holds a reserve supply of oxygen in muscle cells.
17) Which of the following are composed of myosin? C) thick...