1. Which of the following statements best describes the cultural impact on the style of artwork?
a. Cultures each have their own, unique style that is not impacted by any outside culture.
b. Cultures exchange ideas that impact the development of artistic styles. c. Artists create work based solely on their imaginations and are not impacted by culture.
d. All of the above.
2. Like history, art history:
a. is an objective, or factual, academic field.
b. originated during the postmodern era.
c. developed out of science.
d. is biased depending on who writes the history and what they decide to include or exclude.
3. From the very first Cave Paintings to contemporary artwork created today, which of the following have always remained constant? Art ______________. a. provides much needed decoration for domestic spaces.
b. is experimental and cutting-edge.
c. reflects and confirms cultural beliefs.
d. is used to express the artist's inner emotions and personal vision. 2 of 5
Timeline questions. (5 points)
4. Place the following in chronological order from earliest to most recent. b. 2576 BCE
d. 14 BCE
c. 13 CE
e. 312 CE
a. 1942 CE
Places of Religious Worship/Practice. Identify the type of building. Then match the terms to their location on the diagram. (1 point each)
1. Qibla wall
3. hypostyle prayer hall
*8. Santa Spirito/Church
2. Façade towers
10. Radiating chapels
Fill in the blank. Note that the blanks have topics (in parenthesis) to guide your answers. (3 points each)
9. Egyptian(2575-2450 BCE-Fourth Dynasty(art style/period?) art and architecture focused frequently on the afterlife such as providing protection and objects for the Pharaohs who passed away.
10. Minimalist artworks from the 1960s and 1970s were often specific objects (artistic media?)made from industrial materials.
11. Bolder colors are more intense (visual element/principle of design?) than duller, or grayer, colors.
12. Impressionism 1890-1910(19th century) (art style/period?) introduced a new subject matter to art that was previously thought unworthy of representing.
13. Meaning “rebirth,” Renaissance (1417 and 1494-14th century) (art style/period?) art, architecture, and ideals referenced those from Classical Greek and Roman eras. Often their works were ______(type of representation?).
14. Abstract Expressionalism (19th century)(art style/period?) painted abstract or non-objective works that they thought would cause viewers to have universal experiences, such as those based on emotions.
15. The principle of design known as Scale (visual element/principle of design?) has to do with the size of a represented object in relation to a standard or “normal” size.
Short Essay Answers. (10 points each)
Answer the following in complete sentences. Make sure to use enough vocabulary (draw from your knowledge of the visual elements, principles of design, artistic media, and our survey) and give enough detail so that it is clear that you understand the material. Answers should be 1-2 solid paragraphs each. (Note that paragraphs need to be at least 4 sentences each.)
You must answer at least 5 of the 7 questions. If you would like an opportunity to earn 10 extra points toward your total exam score, complete 6 of the 7 questions. Answer a maximum of 6 questions—we will only grade your first 6 answers.
*16. Ando Hiroshige, Sudden Shower Over Shin-Ohashi Bridge and Atake (Ohashi Atake no Yudachi), No. 58 from One Hundred Famous Views of Edo, 1857. - Begin a formal analysis. Identify the subject matter of this work. Then describe 2 formal elements and 2 principles of design in the composition. The subject matter of this work is just a sudden rain shower over the Shin Ohashi Bridge.The woodblock print is very detailed as...