Summer Assignment 2014
“Education comes from within; you get it by struggle and effort and thought.”
Part I- Read Chapter 19
Part II- Answer the following questions. (20 points)
1. What three factors led to the growth of the Ottoman Empire?
2. Why was the capture of Constantinople, in 1453, significant for both the Ottoman Turks and Europeans?
3. Looking at the map on page 532, describe the extent of the Ottoman Empire.
4. Who were the Janissaries?
5. Describe the Devshirme System.
6. Read Islamic Law and Ottoman Rule page 537. Answer questions 1-3.
7. How did inflation affect the strength of the Ottoman Empire?
8. How did the role of Sultan change from 1650-1756?
9. What led to a decrease in Ottoman military power?
10. How did decentralization benefit other members of Ottoman society?
11. Where was the Safavid Empire located?
12. Describe in detail the major similarities between the Safavid and Mughal Empires, particularly the cultural effects of Islam.
13. Compare and contrast the culture and society of the two important Muslim cities, Istanbul and Isfahan.
14. What was the primary feature that distinguished the Mughal Empire from the Ottomans and Safavids?
15. Why did the seafaring empires in the Indian Ocean region succeed while the Ottoman,
Safavid and Mughal Empires declined?
Part III- Define the Key Terms on page 554. (10 points)
Comparison Essay (10 points)
-Has a relevant thesis and uses specific and appropriate historical evidence to support the thesis.
-Addresses all parts of the question.
-Makes direct, relevant comparisons.
-Analyzes relevant reasons for similarities and differences.
Question: Within the period from 1450-1750, compare the process (e.g. political, social, economic) of empire building in the Spanish Empire with the empire building process in the Ottoman Empire.
AP World History Comparative Essay Generic