2. The book was first published in 2011 in the United States 3. Discussion of the plot
a. The story takes place in the ComUnity 62 years after the main character is “stassed”. b. The protagonist of the story is Rose Fitzroy, who was awakened after 62 years in stass. c. Rose was the heir of the wealthiest family in the world. However, she was put in stass by her parents for 62 years until she was discovered. Desperate of losing her parents, her first love, her friends and everything once belonged to her, Rose tries to put her past behind her and adapt to her new world. d. Rose is the target of reporters and her surroundings when she first starts her new life. The students at school try to avoid her and treat her as if she was a ghost. She is rejected by Bren, the one who found her and woke her up by a kiss. Every night, she suffers the nightmare of her past life and the fear of losing her new life again. Most importantly, she is the target of a robot assassin, which was programed by her own parents in order to “keep her safe”. e. As the robot trying to kill Rose, she also finds out that Bren’s grandfather, who arranged everything for Rose since the day she was found, is Xavier, her long lost love. She is shock and sinks into a sea of thoughts. When she is talking to Otto about what has happened, the robot finds her and she just gives up. On the way to the robot station, she is technically dying because of all the pain, but still manages to think about her past, what her parents had done to her and her family, her present, who she really is and the people around her including Xavier, and her future, who she is meant to be. At the station, where all the stass tube is hidden, she decided to fight back the robot. With her little strength, she manages to throw the battery at the robot, which later exploded, and she was saved by hiding in the tube. As for her relationship with Xavier, they still love each other as much as they ever had. Rose was able to forgive the people who hurt her, in order to hold on to her dream.
4. I think the book is about 8. I was drawn into this book and its story since the first few pages. This is the first book that I really took home to read. The story is very excited and can pick up the speed at some parts. However, the fact that Rose fell in love with Bren too fast rather looking for her parents or Xavier made the story become just another fairytale with a modern twist. Besides that, I really like this book!
5. A. How old was Rose supposed to be if she wasn’t stassed? * Rose was technically a hundred years old. Before the last 62 years in stasis, she was stassed many times. It actually took her 38 years to reach the age of 16. (page 152 – 153) B. How many brother and sister does Rose have?
- Rose had two other siblings, a brother named Stephano and a sister named Seraphina. Rose doesn’t know (or remember) of their existence until she saw the files in the robot. Her siblings were also programed to be killed by the robot. If not, they were still stassed until then. (Page 312-313) C. What does Rose do in order to talk to Otto?
- Since Otto couldn’t talk and afraid to touch Rose, she decided to “chat” with Otto on a screen (I assume it’s like a tablet). (Page 102) 6. “I try to keep myself active, keep my heart open, refuse to sink into despair when I find myself crying for no reason in the middle of the night”. This is my favorite line of the book because Rose has been suffering so much, all because of her parents. She did not have the love that every human being deserve to have, yet she is still trying really hard to move on, forget the past and holding on to her future. I can also find myself in this line since I have been always trying to be happy and not being desperate over the “bad” things that happen in my life. 7. One thing I’ve learned from this book is to not give up easily and hold on to my dream.