Home Page »
Road Rage Outline
In: Other Topics
Road Rage Outline
* Definition of road rage
* Relatable examples
* What are the causes of road rage?
* Claim: Unlike in person, drivers feel more restricted and powerless because they are in an enclosed vehicle packed onto a road with other cars.
II. Main Body
A. Reason 1: Feeling restricted in a car can often lead to making assumptions about other drivers based upon simple observances.
* Examples of assumptions
* Quote, “Motorists cannot communicate. There is no easy way of saying, “Oops, I’m sorry!” as we can in a bank line. This leads to ambiguity and misunderstanding: “Did he just flip me off or was that an apology?”
* Explain the feeling of restriction, its causes and effects
* Compare feeling to other relatable situations?
* Shows up in younger people frequently…parents/movies not good examples (quote)
B. Reason 2: Drivers often feel that each drive is a competition with the other drivers on the road. The tension which builds up can cause a driver to become easily upset.
* Show competitive nature in all of us
* How this completion is fueled: Sports like NASCAR and other video games
* Find quotes to support this reason
* “losing” feeling causes road rage
* Tension puts everyone on edge and easily irritable instead of patient/forgiving
* Nobody wants to be last
* Solutions for this problem?
* Many cars on road feel pressured in lane, creates more tension
C. Reason 3: Drivers do not allow for mistakes in others while driving because they are often in a rush and cannot fully understand the situation unlike in person, causing them to make wrong decisions.
* Always in a rush on the road
* Quicker to judge
* Hard to assess the situation b/c can’t see other drivers/kids/passengers
* Could be true emergency
* Wrong decisions can lead to road rage
* Being willing to slow down when everyone else is flying by is very difficult, almost impossible for some
* Summarize three points with examples for each
* Restate claim?
* Give basic solutions to some of these problems?
* Review information presented?