Axia College Material
Psychological and Psychophysiological Stress Disorders
Respond to the following:
1. Stress can be the root cause of psychological disorders. Name four symptoms shared by acute and posttraumatic stress disorders.
a) Nightmares, or even re-experiencing events that had occurred through flashbacks
b) Avoiding situations that the person perceives as traumatic
c) Feeling alone and less responsiveness to what was once pleasurable
d) Increased anxiety and guild.
2. What life events are most likely to trigger a stress disorder?
Going to war and having a traumatic experience there can cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, otherwise known as PTSD. This can happen right away or this could even start years after the traumatic period is over. This can cause the person to do things that might be harmful to themselves or to other people.
3. Traumatic events do not always result in a diagnosable psychological disorder. What factors determine how a person may be affected by one such event?
Some of the factors that can determine this is biological or genetic factors, childhood experiences and the severity of the trauma that has occurred.
4. What are the four stages in meeting the psychological needs of disaster victims?
Stage one is to try to normalize their response to the trauma by educating them of the symptoms.
Stage two is to encourage them to express their expressions of anxiety, anger, and frustration to help them reduce their feelings.
Stage three would be to teach them skills on how to reduce their stress.
Stage four would be to give referrals to other professionals that would be able to help them in the long term.
5. What is the link between personality styles and heart disease?
They are the same factors the help develop some psychological disorders....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document