HW Assignment 2
1. Please answer and complete all questions.
Submission of Assignment: submit assignment using the dropbox tool on D2L (online campus). Due Date: 11Sept13 @ 11:59pm
Late papers lose a letter grade and will need to be turned in to instructor in the form of a hardcopy, and two class periods late are not accepted.
1. Define or identify the following terms or individuals and make sure you understand their importance to the discussion of the Art of Ancient Near East: Citadel
2. List two important Neolithic sites in the ancient Near East: a.
2. What might be the meaning of the animals represented on the Lyre sound box (fig. 2.14a)?
3. The land known as Mesopotamia lay between what two rivers?
4. The Ishtar Gate built in Babylon was (fig. 2.30) was created of ______________________ and covered with _________________________. What motifs were used to decorate it?
5. What subjects were most commonly portrayed in Assyrian reliefs?
6. The doorway of the citadel of Sargon II was guarded by figures known as __________________. Why were they portrayed with five legs?
7. The alabaster vase (fig. 2.6) is the first known example of ________________________ relief sculpture. What does it depict?
8. Identify and name two conventions located in the Votive statues (fig. 2.12)? a.
9. Define and discuss: What is Civilization?
10. How does the artwork shown in chapter 2 (such as the Victory Stele of Naram Sin, the Stele of Hammurabi, the Assyrian Archers Pursuing their Enemies) reflect the changing religious political ideas of the Ancient Near East?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document