1. How do myths and legends shape a society?
Some myths and legends help shape society because they help explain how the world came to be.
2. How were myths and legends used to explain the natural world before science?
They needed a reason to explain why things were happening, such as lighting or rain.
3. What role do myths play in the cultural activities of a society?
Most myths are cultural and most cultures or religions have their own myths
4. How do myths provide life with meaning?
Myths give an explanation and they are what bring meaning to the cause.
5. Do myths and legends establish moral guidelines for living?
No in my opinion in myths and legends anything is possible.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Name at least three ways our culture would be different if we had no myths and legends. Do you think life would be better, the same, or worse?
We wouldn’t have bedtime stories, reason to believe in big foot, or explanations for things. I don’t think things would be the same at all.
2. The bogeyman can be found all over the world. Describe how the bogeyman is portrayed in our culture.
In our culture he portrayed to be a monster that lives under the bed.
3. Think of a character trait you believe is important in a person. Now describe a myth or legend from our culture that reinforces the importance of the trait.
King Arthur is a good legend because he is noble and strong and those are both great quality’s to betray. 4. The Viking version of the afterlife was an extension of what was important to them on Earth: bravery in battle. Describe what the afterlife might look like to a culture that valued a theme of your choosing. Ideas: wealth, peace, knowledge, entertainment, independence, etc.
5. Food and drink are often the objects of myth and legend. Describe a food or drink that a visitor to our country might think was sacred to us.
Meat for sure not many people eat meat around the county as crazy as that seems.