Chapter 9 STUDY GUIDE- Rise of Islam 600-1200
Using complete sentences, answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. 1. What was the division in the Islamic community about and who were the groups involved? 2. In what region was the Sassanid Empire?
3. What holy shrine is located in Mecca? According to stories connected with it, who built the shrine and what happened near the site? 4. Muhammad’s teachings seem to be in agreement with what religions? 5. What was Muhammad’s flight to Medina called?
6. What did the supremacy of the Median state depend on?
7. Who was Muhammad’s successor and what was his title?
8. List the 5 pillars of Islam.
9. What is the Quran?
10. What happened as a result of Husayn’s death?
11. Who are the Ahl al-Sunna wa’l-Jama’s, or Sunni for short? 12. List 5 regions/countries conquered by the Muslim caliphs. 13. What caused the unrest that led to the fall of the Umayyad caliphate? 14. Why was the Abassid period called a “golden age”?
15. Why did the Abassid caliphate decline in power?
16. After failing to reform their government and military, the Abassid Caliphate fell under the influence whom? 17. Who were the ulama?
18. Describe the change in economy, government involvement in religious matters, and population during the reign of the Seljuk Turks. 19. What did the hadith deal with? And what was a problem with the hadith? 20. What did conversion to Islam entail?
21. How did urban growth help the countryside? And what were some of the main crops grown? 22. What helped facilitate long-distance trade and integrate rural areas into the economy? 23. Who influenced Muslim science and technology? And what were 3 major scientific advancements of Ibn al-Haytham? 24. Describe 4 aspects of the life of urban women.
Shi’ites Muslims belonging to the branch of Islam believing that God vests leadership of the community in...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document