This project is submitted in response to the case study of module 08 in Professional Qualification in Human Resources Management.
I am extremely grateful to all people, too numerous to mention, who have contributed to this case study.
The Management Process ,analyzation of a case in an organization, how to give an solution to the problems based on the theory and techniques which I have included in this case study are the most valuable ideas I have gained from my lecturers at IPM and various HRM Professionals. I would like to acknowledge the help of everyone who sacrificed their valuable time for various research programmes and those who have kindly helped me to develop this project.
I extend my thanks and sincere gratitude to my parents for the help and wise criticism given to me.
Finally I would like to thank lecturers at IPM who helped me in Professional Qualification in Human Resources Management(Module 08), friends for their ongoing support.
2. Causes of the situation
3. Proactive measures that could have been taken
4. Reasons for the poor industrial relations of Bolts and Nuts
5. Is the HR Manager to be blamed?
6. Reactive measures that could’ve been taken
7. Conclusion and recommendations
Bolts & Nuts Company was manufacturing and marketing nuts and bolts and nuts. They were making profits for a while till the new government changed its economic policy and the closed economy was changed into an open economy. With this competition came in and the company was unable to face it.
The company believed that the employees weren’t giving their best and this finally led to the employees together as a Union going against the employer. Despite the disciplinary action taken by the employer, the employees began to strike and sabotage the company. The collective agreement made by the two parties did not stay for long.
The situation got worse when the company was pressured by environmental authorities and the company made this an opportunity to change the place of the factory and to get rid of the employees.
However, at this time, there was a case given to the commissioner of labour and while this was going on, the company dismissed their workers. When the workers appealed to the commissioner of labour, the company was asked to give compensation to all the employees.
The company ended up having to pay millions to its employees. This report will critically analyze this situation and look at ways it could’ve been avoided.
2.0 Cause of this situation
1) The cause for this unfortunate situation is that the company did not have a stategic planning.They did not anticipate the change of the economic policy of the new government.
2) They did not have a proper understanding about the changing environment and also they did not anticipate to change according to the future environmental changes.
3) No proper HR practices were followed.Grievances handling was not done in a proper manner. They did not listen to their employees and had very poor industrial relations. All these together resulted in the unfortunate situation of the company. There was no good relationship between the empolyer and the emploee.
4) They did not change according to the technological changes.If they had invested on new machinery and technology they would have been able to survive.
5) The company was not innovative, proactive and had very weak strategic planning. They were resisting to change anything they had. They were not willing to experiment
3.0 Methods and solutions that could’ve been taken by the company to avoid these situations
The company ideally should’ve been proactive in the whole thing because prevention is always better than cure. However, there were many reactive methods that could’ve been used. If they still used it, the situation wouldn’t have become this...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document