World History on File: American & French Revolution
1. What taxes were placed on the Colonists? Do you think the British had the right to tax the
Some taxes that were placed on the Americans involved stamps, sugar, tea, imported goods, and more. I don’t believe the British had the right to tax the colonies. This is because the colonies had no say in parliament and could do nothing to stop the taxes.
2. Which event do you believe was the biggest cause of the American Revolution? Why?
I believe that the Boston massacre was the biggest cause of the Revolution because there was already tension between the two countries. But, by firing on protesters, the English took the last straw and America was ready for bloodshed.
3. What was the Declaration of the Rights of Man?
4. Explain the five similarities between the Declaration of Independence and the Declaration of the Rights of Man:
Believe All men are created equal The power comes from the citizens 4.
They both had an appeal to god Both felt their Governments at the time were unfair and unjust Government is to protect the rights of it citizens
Citizens have the power to overthrow the government
5. The Estates:
Who was in the
% of Population
Rights of Estate
Clergy of Catholic
No taxes, owned 20% of land, received annual payment from 10%of all citizens’ income
Members of nobility
Little to no taxes, owned most of land, entitled to all power positions in Gov. and army, received money and crops from people who farmed their land
Taxes, high rent, payment to feudal dues, no voice in government 6. What were “the Mountain” and “the Plain” in the French National Convention?
7. How many months past from the beginning of the Revolution and the writing of the Declaration of the Rights of Man? How many years in total was the French Revolution?
28 months. 6