Networking Types, Devices, and Cabling
Reviewing the Basics
1. What type of network topology is used when five switches are used on a small LAN and each switch connects to multiple computers on the LAN?
A star bus topology or a hybrid topology
2. Place the following networking technologies in the order of their highest speed, from slowest to fastest: WiMAX, dial-up networking, cable Internet, Fast Ethernet, 3G
Dial-up networking, 3G, cable Internet, WiMAX, Fast Ethernet
3. What is the difference between ADSL and SDSL?
ADSL uses one upload speed from the consumer to an ISP and a faster download speed. SDSL uses equal bandwidths in both directions.
4. Among satellite, cable Internet, and DSL, which technology experiences more latency?
5. When using DSL to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
6. When using cable Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
7. What is the name of the port used by an Ethernet cable? What is the name of the port used by a dial-up modem?
8. If you want to upgrade your 100BaseT Ethernet network so that it will run about 10 times the current speed, what technology would you use?
Gigabit Ethernet or 1000BaseT
9. What is the maximum length of a cable on a 100BaseT network?
100 meters or 328 feet
10. What does the 100 in the name 100BaseT indicate?
The transmission speed of the network, which is 100 Mbps.
11. Which type of networking cable is more reliable, STP or UTP? Which is used on LANs?
STP is more reliable, UTP is used on LANs
12. Which is more expensive, UTP CAT5e cabling or STP CAT5e cabling?
STP CAT5e is more expensive because it is shielded
13. When looking at a network cable that is not labeled, describe how you can tell if the cable is a straight-through cable or a crossover cable.
Carefully examine the colors of the wires that you can see through