Chap. 2 Review questions
1. Which one of the following answers is most accurate about the cabling of a typical modern Ethernet LAN?
D. Connect each device to a centralized LAN switch using UTP cabling
2. Which of the following is true about the cabling of a 10BASE2 Ethernet LAN?
A. Connect each device in series using coaxial cabling.
3. Which of the following is true about Ethernet crossover cables?
B. Pins 1 and 2 on one end of the cable connect to pins 3 and 6 on the other end of the cable.
4. Each answer lists two types of devices used in a 100BASE-TX network. If these de- vices were connected with UTP Ethernet cables, which pairs of devices would require a straight-through cable?
B. PC and switch. C. Router and hub D. Wireless access point (Ethernet port) and switch. 5. Which of the following is true about the CSMA/CD algorithm? B. Collisions can happen, but the algorithm defines how the computers should no- tice a collision and how to recover. 6. Which of the following is a collision domain?
A. All devices connected to an Ethernet hub
7. Which of the following describes a short coming of using hubs that is improved by in-stead using switches?
A. Hubs create a single electrical bus to which all devices connect, causing the de- vices to share the bandwidth.
8. Which of the following terms describe Ethernet addresses that can be used to communicate with more than one device at a time?
C. Broadcast address D. Multicast address
9. Which of the following is one of the functions of OSI Layer 2 protocols?
10. Which of the following are true about the format of Ethernet addresses?
B. Each manufacturer puts a unique code into the first 3 bytes of the address.
11. Which of the following is true about the Ethernet FCS field?
C. It resides in the Ethernet trailer, not the Ethernet header.