Summary writing may be the most familiar writing task so far. We make summaries of many different things. In this paper, we are going to explain about writing an assignment summary. Writing an Assignment Summary
A good assignment summary has three principal requirements.
1. It should be focused on the relevant aspects of the source text or texts. 2. It should present the source material in an accurate fashion. 3. It should condense the source material and be presented in the summary writer’s own words. The length of a summary is often be determined by the instructor. Here are some preliminary steps in writing a summary.
1. Skim the text, noting in your mind the subheadings.
2. Consider why you have been assigned the text.
3. Read the text, highlighting important information or taking notes. 4. In your own words, write down the main points of each section. 5. Write down the key support points for the main topic, buut include minor detail only if necessary. 6. Go through the process again, making changes as appropriate. When you write a formal summary of someone’s else ideas, you should keep in mind the following guidelines. 1. Always try to use your own words, except for technical terms. 2. Include enough support and detail so that the presentation is clear. 3. Do not try to paraphrase specialized vocabulary or technical terms. 4. Focus on the content of the original.
5. Make sure the summary reads smoothly.
It is very important to identify at least the source author, if not the title as well. The following Language Focus provides some additional suggestions for how to refer to a source in your summary. Language Focus: Identifying the Source in a Summary
Most summaries will have a sentence near the beginning that contains two elements: the source and a main idea.
According to Boskin (2004) _______________________.
Bernstein (2004) states/claims/argues/maintains that _______________________....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document