Colgate Palmolive is a well-reputed company with a large series of its well-known products having different varieties in terms of flavour. Colgate Palmolive is the world leader in oral care industry. They cater the need of different segments by offering innovative products. The main objectives of this study is to analyse the existing channel strategies, physical distribution, sales force design and marketing strategies of Colgate Palmolive in India and recommend the improvement if any on these areas. Furthermore the communication strategies are discussed in detail. The communication strategy includes the study of the message strategy, creative strategy, the positioning of various brands of Colgate as well as the use of the various communication channels. Colgate Palmolive India
§ Headquarter in Mumbai with an annual Turnover around 1100 crs § Market leaders in Oral care
§ Colgate consistently won India’s no 1 brand of the year award from last three years § Colgate Ranked among Best Employer in India
In the oral care product segment following Colgate Palmolive are the toothpaste available in Indian market: 1. Colgate Dental Cream
2. Colgate Total 12
3. Colgate Sensitive
4. Colgate Sensitive-Pro-Relief
5. Colgate Max Fresh
6. Colgate Kids Tooth Paste
7. Colgate Fresh Energy Gel
8. Colgate Herbal
9. Colgate Cibaca Family Protection
10. Colgate Active Salt
11. Colgate Maxwhite
1. PART A
1.1 Marketing Channel Strategies:
The company had 1713 direct stores as of may 2010. The oral care distribution network is distribution network is spread across 90 cities in India. The company products are available across 4.3 mn retail outlets. Flag ship Brand – Colgate Dental Cream is the largest distributed product in the Toothpaste market available in 4.1 MM stores. Serviced by Company field force, more than 1800 stockiest & super stockiest & their field force Distribution Channel of Colgate Palmolive
Colgate uses different marketing channel strategies for its different toothpaste product. We have analysed some of the marketing channel strategies used by Colgate Palmolive: 1.1.1 Channel of distribution:
A set of interdependent organizations that help make a product or service available for use or consumption by the consumer or business user. Colgate Palmolive uses all the available intermediaries wholesalers, retailers, and stockist. Distribution strategy for the Colgate Total is Indirect. It is through Dentist, plastic surgeon, drug stores, grocery stores, large retail stores and department stores. 1.1.1 Channel level
A layers of intermediaries that perform some work in bringing the product and its ownership closer to the final buyer. Colgate Palmolive uses level 2 channel level containing wholesalers and retailers.
1.1.2 Channel conflict
Disagreement among marketing channel members is generated when one channel member’s action prevents another channel from achieving its goal. Colgate Palmolive fallow the traditionally distribution channel not involving overlapping of intermediaries so there is very less amount of channel conflict. 1.1.3 Intensity of distribution
As the product is daily useable commodity so the company is using intensive distribution. 1.1.4 Multichannel distribution system
As the time changes the companies changed from single channel distribution system to the multichannel distribution system, often called as hybrid marketing channels. Multichannel marketing occurs when a firm sets up two or more marketing channels. With each new channel, the company can expand its sales and market coverage. But those are hard to control, and may create conflicts. Colgate Palmolive uses the Multichannel distribution. 1.1.5 Recommendation
§ Dentist’s plays a big role in the distribution of oral care products. Colgate Palmolive should more focus on distribution...
References: 1. Kotler, Philip.; Kevin Lane Keller (2009). Marketing Management, 13th ed. Pearson Prentice Hall.
2. (2004). Colgate-palmolive go the purveyance way automating their sales force in to the future. Available: http://www.dedata.com.au/news_purveyance_colgate.pdf. Last accessed 12th November 2011
3. Cook, I. (2008). Dear Colgate Shareholder. Available: http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/Corp/Annual-Reports/2008/Dear-Colgate-Shareholder.cvsp. Last accessed 10th November 2011.
4. (2004). Rural Distribution-Wholesale Channel Development. Available: http://www.colgate.co.in/app/Colgate/IN/Corp/Careers/RuralDistributionChannel.cvsp. Last accessed 11th November 2011.
5. Colgate logistics delivers smiles Available: http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/article/colgate-logistics-delivers-smiles/. Last accessed 12th November 2011
6. (2003). Colgate-Palmolive to focus on rural, urban distribution. Available: http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/2003/08/19/stories/2003081901540300.htm. Last accessed 12th November 2011
7. (2008). Research and Markets: Valuable Overview of Colgate Palmolive’s History, M&A http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/02/06/idUS163357+06-Feb-2008+BW20080206. Last accessed 12th November 201
Please join StudyMode to read the full document