Contrasting the ColonialRegionsEstablished in BritishNorthAmericaBritishNorthAmerica by the mid 1700’s consisted of three major regions. The New England region included the colonies of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The Middle Region included the colonies...
Columbian Exchange alter the natural environment of the Americas?
2) What role did forced labor play in the main industries of Spanish America and Brazil?
3) Discuss how Spain and Portugal affected the character of its colonial empire in America. What were the main similarities and differences among...
are due the first day of class.
1. Analyze the cultural and economic responses of TWO of the following groups to the Indians of NorthAmerica before 1750.
2. Analyze the differences between the Spanish settlements in the Southwest and the English Colonies in New England...
required students to compare two or more periods of history, and these questions appear in each period specified in the essay. The questions are placed under the titles of the topics I use in my U.S. History A.P. course. I. The Founding of the Colonies, 1607-1688 1. "Throughout the Colonial period, economic...
Compare and contrast Spanish and British colonization efforts in NorthAmerica prior to 1763.
Prior to 1763, both Spanish and British colonization efforts expanded into various regions of NorthAmerica. In less than a century, from 1625 to 1700, the movements of peoples and goods from Europe to North...
1. 1971 “Between 1607 and 1763, Americans gained control of their political and economic institutions.”
To what extent and in what ways do you agree or disagree with this statement?
2. 1972 What role did unfree labor play in colonial American society?
3. 1973 From 1600 to 1763, several...
FRQ: Compare and contrast the different ways in which economic development affected politics in Massachusetts and Virginia in the period from 1607 to 1750.
Direction: Compare and contrast
Divisions: beginning settlement, religion, means of economic stability
Thesis: The early settlements of the Massachusetts...
Summer Reading Assignment
Chapter 3: Compare and contrast the government, religion, geography, and economy of the three English colonialregions. Be sure to consider the role of race, gender, and ethnicity.
English colonies in America were, for the most part, successful and fruitful,...
Instead of becoming havens for the English poor and unemployed, or models of interracial harmony, the southern colonies of seventeenth-century NorthAmerica were weakened by disease, wracked by recurring conflicts with Native Americans, and disrupted by profit-hungry planters’ exploitation of poor whites...
bases at several key locations in the Indian Ocean world
2. Compare/contrast Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch and British initiatives in Asia
Portuguese | Spanish | Dutch | British |
Wanted control over the spice trade | Outright colonial rule of the islands, not a trading empire | Wanted control over...
THE COMPARE & CONTRAST ESSAY PACKET
Before students plan and write essays, they must understand the tasks that the prompts ask them to perform. This begins with understanding the words that prompts use.
Compare and Contrast prompts ask students to either compare and/or...
Justify your argument using two countries as primary examples.
The impact of the colonial powers is often identified as the primary explanation for underdevelopment in today’s Sub-Saharan Africa. Although the colonial period is often seen as short, the long term effects have had a deep impact upon the...
DEPARTMENT OF GOVERNMENT AND POLITICAL STUDIES
SEMESTER 2: JANUARY - MAY 2012
GOVT 203 – INTERNATIONAL POLITICS
Essay Question: Compare the effects of racial ideologies on North American societies with those on Latin American/Caribbean societies during the period.
Racial ideologies have immense effects...
6. What makes the British Commonwealth hang together? Is the British commonwealth of native just another name for the British Empire?
According to http://www.historians.org the important matter, however, is not why we ask what makes the Commonwealth hold together but what the answer is. To reach it...
and created civilizations whose art, religion and economy were as complex as those of Europe and the Mediterranean world
How would you compare and contrast the worldviews of Europeans and Native Americans?
-Europeans viewed Native Americans as inferior
-Native Americans were not aware of Europeans
covered in American Colonies when you return to school in August.
The assigned reading is:
• Taylor, Alan, " American Colonies: The Settling of NorthAmerica", Part I Encounters: CH 1-5 pp. 3-113, Part II Colonies: CH 6-12, pp. 117-272, and Part III Empires: CH 13 - 19 pp. 275 – 480.
of establishing settlements off the coast of NorthAmerica.
ii. When settlement ultimately failed, colonists stayed there, governing themselves, giving birth to the idea of American democracy.
Jamestown: first permanent English settlement in NorthAmerica 1607. Named after King James I of England.
and economic responses of two of the following groups to the Indians of northamerica before 1750.
Two nations who had particularly interesting relationships with the Native Americans were the British and the French, both of whom took different approaches to their relations...
between peoples, cultures, and civilizations
Philippines: Port of trade and Spanish conquest
British and Dutch East India Companies: main purpose was trade, exploration and colonization . established headquarters in many different countries, had a monopoly over the trade (mostly spices)
A SELECTION OF PAST AP U.S. FREE RESPONSE QUESTIONS:
Part 1: Colonial Period to Civil War
Colonial Times 1607 -1775
1. From 1600 -1763, several European nations vied for control of the North American continent. Why did England win the struggle? (73)
2. In the seventeenth century, New England...