why i want to become a doctor
I think that wanting to become a doctor is almost something people are born with. I mean I know it sounds kinda funny but those that truly want to become a doctor have a pretty difficult time explaining why. I think the reason is that it mostly comes from a persons heart and trying to portray the feeling with words becomes difficult.
Becoming a doctor is no easy task. Just getting into medical school is a daunting task let alone the amount of studying, time spent in residency and the grueling hours one spends training.
I personally have many reasons why I want to become a doctor. Yes my first answer is I want to help people, and yes it is true that you can help people in many ways but I think a doctor provides the most direct and critical type of help. I mean how many times have you been in pain and you've gone to see your doctor and after he's treated you you want to just get up and hug him. The healing power of a doctor is almost godly. I don't think any other profession is more appreciated than a doctor because of that fact. We as humans seek help and relieve from pain and suffering when we are going through such a time and the most critical pain and suffering is physical pain and when that pain is relieved we are most grateful.
I think medicine is also a field in which you will be constantly learning new things. Every day we have new procedures, new types of drugs, new types of diseases which are found. As doctors we will always be learning new material and for some people that is an interesting aspect of medicine.
The fact that you will have such direct human contact and human contact that will be constantly changing is also a plus.
The feeling of a child who is dying of cancer who then hugs you and says thank you for treating me cannot be matched by any other profession.
Basically your affecting humanilty, your helping to cure and treat which makes you very powerful, I personally couldn't see myself doing anything else. I have my background in engineering, I make good money but the satisfaction of becoming a physician is undescribable. I list below some attributes of a good doctor, in no particular order. You will be wise to note that being extra clever is not one of them. Look at me! • Knowledgeable - Whilst it is an important attribute, it is not the most essential. • Patience and perseverance - You have to have this especially when life is hard in the beginning. • Dedication - Medicine is a lifelong commitment.
• Compassion - Your patients need to know that you care. Learn to listen well. • Honesty - Admit mistakes and learn from them.
• Warm personality - Often a doctor-patient trust develops instantly the moment they see you. • Willing to learn - Never be afraid to ask whatever you don't know. Be a good student. • Willing to teach - Impart the knowledge. Share the skills. Teach others what they don't know. • Have an analytical mind - An astute doctor continues to think and doubt even his own diagnosis. • A good team player - As a doctor, you are always part of a team of healthcare professionals. Work together for the benefits of your patients. -------------------------------------------------
Qualities Of A Good Doctor - Presentation Transcript
1. QUALITIES OF A GOOD DOCTOR DATO’ AHMAD TAJUDIN JAAFAR DEAN ALLIANZE COLLEGE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES 2. WHAT QUALITIES MAKE UP A GOOD DOCTOR?
* IS IT ABOUT BRAIN AND SKILL?
* OR IS IT ABOUT COMPASSION AND EMPATHY?
3. LIST OF QUALITIES OF A GOOD DOCTOR
* 1. SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY
* - Essential in a doctor
* - Breeds dedication and motivates to do what is right, going beyond the call of duty 4.
* - Keep you going even when you are tired; go to the extra mile for the sake * of the patients
* - Do the right things, sacrifice without...