Ways to Solve Poverty.

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 567
  • Published : March 13, 2013
Open Document
Text Preview
Ways to Solve Poverty
America, Home of the brave, Home of the free, Home of the poor. A overwhelming amount of Americans in our own country struggle under the poverty line everyday. They struggle for food, water, and a place to rest their heads at night, and they struggle for those for their kids all the while. A person is in a state of poverty when they cannot afford the necessities of life. Poverty is something government needs to deal with more because it carries a double cost to them and the tax payers, the poor people take their needed services, but they are unable to pay back their debt, sometimes they never are. Poverty also leads to a lower economic output, lower education, and lower productivity. Things such as Income and wealth being uneven have led to our high rate of poverty, as well as our unfair share of taxes. But the last thing is that our government is not making a good enough effort to do something about this problem. If some things are changed for the better of the nation maybe poverty would not be such a problem. In this country income and wealth are spread very unevenly. The gini index shows us just how much. The GINI index is on a scale of 0-1 , 0 being everyone in America making the exact same amount of money and 0 being 1 person making all the money and no one else makes anything. Since LBJs war on poverty the GINI index has steadily rose and is now at .466 which almost divides America’s income in half. Another thing is that in the income brackets we see that the top 20% of American’s bring in 60.2% of the nation’s income. This means the richest of Americans bring in more than half of Americas money, and the other 80% gets to share the scraps. This is a similar case when it comes to wealth, the wealth brackets show that top 20% of American’s own 81.7 of this nation’s wealth. This means the rest of the 80% of American’s get to share what’s left. Less than 1% of wealth belongs to the lower 20% class of American’s. All the rich people get...
tracking img