English grammar and writing
Short question: 6 marks
1. What is a morph? How is it different from a morpheme?
2. Identify the prefixes in the following words and mention whether they are: (a) Location (b) reversative (c) evaluative prefixes.
(A) Malfunction (B) dispossess (C) superstructure (D) superfine (E) undersigned (F) defrost. 3. Write a note on function of prepositional phrase using appropriate examples. 4. Discuss postmodification in a noun phrase.
5. Give two examples each of noun phrase a object, complement and adverbial. 6. Write a brief note on subordinates.
7. Revise the following sentences to eliminate the dangling constructions: (A) Driving along at top speed, the road took an unexpected turn to the left. (B) Being made of glass, I handled the tabletop carefully. (C) After putting a worm on my hook, the first began to bite. (D)
In preparing the launch, the space ship was examined several times (E) To examine the brakes, the wheel must be removed.
(F) When a baby, my grandfather gave me a silver cup.
8. Develop one of the following topic sentences into a meaningful paragraph by supporting it with reason or examples: (A) Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind.
(B) First impression is not always a reliable basis for judgment. 9. Provide four examples of irregular verbs in English.
Name the English non- finite clauses.
Write a note on substitution.
Write a note on sentences fragment.
How do you gather materials for writing a good composition? 14.
Write note on using the connectives accurately.
Describe the English verb forms briefly.
Describe a concord in English.
Write a brief note on ellipsis.
What is thesis and support logical order for a composition? 19.
What is meant by tone or mood of composition?
Analyse the following noun...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document