American Government B
Unit 3 Portfolio Options
*Choose ONE of the following ____ options to complete.
*DO NOT follow the directions listed in the lesson (U3L11).
*Live Lesson on April _____th will review these directions.
*Every option MUST include a list of bibliography with at least three sources. *DO NOT use Wikipedia, blogs, or any other unreliable source.
1. Read the letter to the editor “Not in Our Son’s Name” by Phyllis and Orlando Rodriguez. The article is a plea from the parents of 911 victim Gregory Rodriguez to the government not to go to war to avenge their son. 2. Respond to the Rodriguez family by writing a 1.5-2 page letter supporting or disagreeing with their position based on facts from reliable sources. 3. The letter must include:
1-2 pages of text in Times-Roman 12 font, 1-inch margins, double-spaced. Proper letter format.
At least 3 verifiable facts about world politics, or U.S. foreign policy. Bibliography with at least three sources.
1. Choose a major US diplomatic crisis to review. After some research, write a 2-page on the crisis. Focus on how the U.S. State Department worked to diffuse the crisis. 2. Possible examples of crises to be reported on include:
Iran-Hostage Crisis, 1979
Bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut, Lebanon in 1982.
WikiLeaks Crisis, 2010.
Ax Murder Incident, Korean Demilitarized Zone, 1976.
U.S.S. Pueblo Incident, 1968.
Berlin Blockade, 1946-1947.
The U.S. State Department issues travel advisories and prevent U.S. citizens from entering certain countries. *Start your research at the State Department website.* 1. Create a PowerPoint presentation answering the question: What countries are U.S. citizens not allowed to visit and why? 2. Discuss the diplomatic history of the U.S. with these countries and create a PowerPoint presentation that: Includes at least ten slides.
Contains historical facts about the countries citizens are not allowed to visit. Describes at least three reasons we are not allowed to visit these countries. Includes a bibliography with at least three sources using MLA format.
Write a 2-page research paper on the history of the Marine Corps Embassy Guard. Include: When they started guarding U.S. embassies.
Their daily duties at the embassy.
Situations where the embassy guards had to protect U.S. embassies from attack. How the Marines select their embassy guards.
*Include a bibliography with at least three sources.
1. Investigate two U.S. Secretaries of State in our history. 2. In a 2-page essay, compare and contrast the two individuals. Include the following: Their early lives and childhood.
Where and how they were educated.
Personal characteristics that qualified them for the job.
International problems and crises that they had to deal with during their tenure. *Include a bibliography with at least three sources.
1. Create a detailed map or diagram of a U.S. Embassy that came under attack. *Do not simply print out or copy a map or diagram from a book or website.* 2. Use the map or diagram to record a presentation of what happened and how the U.S. ended the crisis or attack. Presentation should be 5-10 minutes. 3. Post the presentation onto YouTube. Mark it as UNLISTED. 4. Copy the link to the YouTube video into a Word document that also includes a bibliography with at least three sources, and then upload that document into the drop box.
1. Write and perform a song about U.S. foreign interventions throughout our history. 2. The song should include:
Why we are involved/support/intervene with other countries.
At least 3 countries to which we have been involved/supported/intervened. 3. Submit the written lyrics, bibliography with at least three sources, and a recording of the song into the drop box. The recording can be done on YouTube with the link copied into the document with the lyrics. Mark YouTube video as UNLISTED....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document