Child Care and Education
Unit 4: Keeping Children Safe
Submission: 7/5/13 (Tuesday Exam Week)
As previously advised
you should have read the assignment brief and gathered information to support you
□ Read the assignment information carefully (this can be found on pages 45-51 within your candidate handbook). □ Look at the marking scheme to the assignment on pages 285-289 within your candidate handbook. You will be able to read what is required of you in order to achieve E1 – A1. □ You need to read the compensatory marking grid: Guide for awarding marks to support you with your assignment. This can be found on pages 257-259 within you candidate handbook. □ Write in your own words what you feel the assignment is asking you to do. □ Plan ahead – you will need Time, Space and Books to help you with this assignment. This is very important has it will help to write coherently. □ Ask for support.
□ Attend homework workshops.
□ Pictures of children’s faces or names on their work/displays/setting are not permitted. IMPORTANT INFORMATION
• You can refer to past and present practice where relevant • You can have appendices however, it is not compulsory. We advise you to consider what you are going to put in your appendices to support your discussion before you begin. That way you can be sure you can make clear links to practice. • Your completed work should not exceed 3,500 words. There is no lower word limit. Work that is more than 10% above the word limit will not be marked. References and quotations within the text are not included in the word limit.
Please make an appointment to see a tutor if this is not clear.
Do not under any circumstances copy from another group member, straight from course textbooks or the internet. The outcome for copying (PLAGIARISM) could result in disciplinary action and the failure of the unit. (You can quote from textbooks to support your writing, as long as you reference properly e.g. surname of author, the year the book was published and page number). Refer back to the referencing crib sheet on how to write references and a bibliography correctly.
□ Several of the assignment questions link together. Although you can attempt the assignment in any order, it is important that you attempt each question separately to ensure you have met the criteria. □ All criteria MUST by identified e.g. E7
□ Have your full name, page number and pin on every page
□ 1:5 line spaced throughout
□ Use either Arial or Verdana font throughout
□ Complete the CACHE declaration form on page 261 and the compensatory marking grid on page 285-289 within the CACHE Candidate handbook.
□ Where will you research the information?
□ What do you need to do first?
□ Where can you study and complete your assignment?
□ Which day will you attend the homework session?
□ What will you discuss with your Supervisor?
□ When will you make an appointment to see your tutor to discuss your assignment? □ How will you present your assignment?
Suggested Assignment Layout…
Unit 4: Keeping Children Safe
E1: Identify Legislation which influences healthy, safe, secure environments for early years settings.
You need to give a sentence explaining that you are going to identify a minimum of five different forms of legislation. You need to ensure that you say the full title, the abbreviation and date where appropriate e.g.
I am going to identify five legislations in which influence healthy, safe and secure environments
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA).
• The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995(RIDDOR)
• The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH)
• The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992